• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC5146, the Cocoon Nebula taken at Rother_Valley 15 Sept 2012

Started by The Thing, Sep 18, 2012, 20:59:52

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

HEQ5 Pro (recently re-greased), EQMOD, CdC, LX90 8" UHTC Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor, Canon 350Da, NO Astronomik CLS-CCD clip filter, Lakeside ASCOM Focuser, Meade 8x50 FinderGuidescope & QHY5, PHD Guiding, APT Astro Photography Tool.

Processed in IRIS. 20 flats, 8 darks, 10 offset/bias frames. 32 x 300s (2h40m) at iso800. Stacked with sigma 1.5 with 1 iterations. Colour and dynamic stretching, no wavelet sharpening this time and binning twicex2.

Full size

MarkS

I like that!  You're just beginning to see the dust.  If you can deal with the background gradient I think the dust would come out even better.  Then increase the blue a bit.

What do you mean when you say "binning twicex2"  ?

MarkS

Hope you don't mind but I took a liberty of having a go myself 'cos I just couldn't resist:

I think you've got a superb result there!  8)

Larger version:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/dunc_cocoon.jpg

I removed the gradient as follows in IRIS:
1) Type the command "pointon"
2) Click 10 points on the background near each corner of the image - 40 points in total.  This often works better if you blur the image first (but I didn't in this particular case)
3) Type "poly 1" which creates linear background gradient when followed by the "synthe" command
4) Save this background gradient:  "save my_back_gradient"
5) Load the image again, subtract the background gradient image: "sub my_back_gradient 0"
6) Type the command "pointoff" to stop the annoying crosses appearing each time you click the mouse
7) Adjust blackness of background and enhance colour balance.

Jim

Remember you doing this one Duncan. Amazing detail you've captured.

Carole

There's some really good data there and you've captured some good star colour as well.

Carole

JonH

This is some really good stuff!
Think I need to learn how to use Iris!
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

The Thing

Thanks for the iris help Mark. I had only tried Sunday subsky (blooming smellpeckers!) and various polynomials.
Thanks for you kind comments everyone.

JohnP

Well that's a mighty fine Cocoon. Really nice & like your tweak Mark - John

Fay

Well done Duncan, very nice Cocoon & great stars!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Hi all and thanks.

I have followed Mark's instructions for gradient removal in IRIS and uploaded the images to the web, replacing the previous versions. Thanks again Mark, you learn something new every day!

RobertM

That looks really excellent Duncan and lovely star colours too.

Robert