• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Variable in M27 - Observations wanted

Started by Whitters, Jul 28, 2004, 06:19:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Folks,
The BAA Variable Star section is interested in observations or CCD images of M27, where a new BAA member has re-discovered a variable star. If you have images of M27 then have a look at the attached images and see if the arrowed star is visible or not. The BAA want to know the date and time of the images and if the star is visable or not,

From Stewart Moore

New BAA member Richard Best has re-discovered a variable in M27.  The two images below show it with and without the star.  Research by Guy Hurst and Roger Pickard suggests that the star (approx position 19h 59m 30s  +22 45' (2000)) is suspected variable NSV24959.  Guy traced the latest paper on this object to IBVS 4814 issued by Konkoly Observatory in 1999.  Authors were Yoshida et al.

Owen Brazell adds the following comment 'this object was discovered by Leos Ondra in 1988, if it is the same object http://leo.astronomy.cz/gl/gl.html. It was orange then. I would guess that little or nothing has been done on it since then.'

I have discovered many images in books / magazines / the web etc where the star is sometimes present and sometimes missing.  The problem has been to find when those images were obtained.  As M27 is a popular object, and as I know you are all fastidious observers who always note all the details of every observation, could I ask people to search their archives and see if they have images showing or not showing the star and send dates and times to Roger Pickard.   Please don't send images to me as living in the sticks the overhead wires start to glow if too much data comes in.

Regards,

Stewart Moore

oOo

Dear Mr Moore

Just wondered if you could help here. Last autumn i took an image of M27 with my C9.25 celestron OTA RGB and Ha.

Last week i took another image of M27 with my new C14 and thought out of interest i would compare shots.

To my amazement i noticed the obvious trio of stars taken last year is now a duo!!!!  please look and tell me what you think? Im wondering if this was a supanova missed last year or maybe its just a variable star?

Richard Best

[ This Message was edited by: Whitters on 2004-07-27 22:20 ]

Mike

Crikey !!!

Let us know what the reply is !!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan