• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Heath Starparty

Started by Vera, Aug 01, 2012, 10:36:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Vera

Not knowing what the recent references to Kelling Heath were I googled the term to discover what looks like a great event.  I'm seriously considering a day visit on the Saturday to find out more having found a Travel Inn within reasonable distance to use as a base as the complete site has no accommodation at all to offer.

Given ignorance is bliss, would this be completely mad to entertain?  As there seems to be quite a few from OAS going are you camped together or spread over the site?  Looks like event is for folks with a good knowledge of all things astronomical so will it all be above my head?  I know it's quite a long way drive but that's not a problem.

Vera

Carole

Vera, it is indeed a great event.  If you come on Saturday do come for the afternoon as well as they have talks and lots of Astro traders come selling their ware, some second hand.  There is a good atmosphere as campers themselves also try to sell their unwanted items by putting a table outside their tent/campervan.

Quotethe complete site has no accommodation at all to offer
Yes this gets booked out over a year in advance.

You can also stroll around the campsite and look at all the different telescopes and have a chat with the people who own them, and suss out what you want to come back and look through in the evening.  There will be many huge dobsonians which give great views, but some you will need to climb a ladder.  On the whole every-one is only too happy to let you look through their telescope.  

Not sure whether you will need to pay as a day visitor, plus the talks (I think) are an extra charge for every-one, but often include some quite emminent speakers.

Lots of cafes there.  

The most important thing to consider is light pollution as they are very strict about white light on the campsite and the Astronomers will linch any-one shining a white light.  Therefore make sure you park well away from the camp field so when you arrive/drive off your lights do not pollute.  Plus if you carry a torch make sure it is covered in red film.

I think we are pitched in various places as we all booked separately.  I am on pitch T354

Perhaps others can give their pitch numbers.  Look forward to seeing you there.

Carole

Mike

I'm on T424 from the 13th to 17th Sept. I booked late and there were only 4 pitches left. Two were useless and this one, despite being in the trees, had a reasonable overhead view. It's still a compromise. You need to book well in advance for the September party.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Well no-one else had added their pitch numbers and it is next week.
So where is every-one else pitched, don't want to have to go on a hunt.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Ah ha, maybe they want you to track them down!