• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Camping Observatory

Started by Carole, Jul 24, 2012, 12:24:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

As stated on another thread.  There is a drawback with the POD as you can't image anything too high up as the dome gets in the way.  Most of the year it is not such a problem, but during this time of the year it is.  

Having recently bought myself a camping observatory, I decided to set it up in the garden so I could image things in Cygnus.  Massive effort, don't know how you guys cope with setting up every time you image.  Anyway, as it's forecast to be clear for 3 nights in a row I felt it was worth doing.

Also gave me a "practice go" so I know what to expect at DSC.  I am hoping to be able to pitch this near the tent (if I take the big tent) so I can sit inside in more comfort with the laptop.  It's a bit tight in the camping obsy, but I can "just" fit in there with the table, laptop and small seat.

This is it next to my obsy with the small cover they provide, which is not really substantial enough.  

Carole

This is it with the home made cover I made which is a bit more substantial.  I might get around to lengthening this, but this is the size piece I had (butchered from the old OAS tent).

An already bought cover costs £69 on top of the price of the Obsy tent.

and this is it with the top opened up:

I decided to abandon the idea of the complete home made camping obsy as it only works attached to the side of my large tent which I don't always use, sometimes I use my pop up tent and in October i am going to the Isle of Wight and need to pitch my kit outside a cabin so needed more security.

Carole

Tony G

Carole,

Will you have to pay for 2 pitches because of the 2 tents, and if you don't want to talk to us while observing you only have to say.  :cry:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Carole,

Your garden doesn't look full yet - I reckon you've got room there for at least another two mounts  :cheesy:

Mark

Carole

QuoteWill you have to pay for 2 pitches because of the 2 tents
that thought crossed my mind.  It won't be a problem at Kelling as you get a nice big pitch, hopefully it won't else where.

Quoteif you don't want to talk to us while observing you only have to say.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think like Fay I worry about the cables and don't like having to de-rig all these every night and then they are all in a tangle as I just drop them into a box and have to sort them all out the next day.  I also don't like sitting outside in the cold and damp and have taken to setting up my laptop inside the big tent at kelling.  Once it is all up and running there is plenty of time to chat.

QuoteYour garden doesn't look full yet - I reckon you've got room there for at least another two mounts
:lol: :lol:
Carole

Fay

I thought that tent city that had been outside St Pauls, had moved into your garden, Carole!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Yes it is a bit overcrowded and I have a visitor tomorrow, but I think she'll be interested to see the rig all set up.
Luckily it's only a temporary measure.  One thing I have to sort out is pads for under the tripod legs or it will damage the ground sheet.  Currently using furniture cups and place mats but need something better.

Carole

Tony G

Hi Carole,

These are on ebay, but if you look around you may get them cheaper. If you look on the sellers other items you may find some other goodies.  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Anti-Vibration-Tripod-Foot-Pads-Heavy-Duty-Skywatcher-/280617692553?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item41561e2d89

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Thanks for the link Tony, it's a little difficult to see the item with their logo right accross it.  I thought the cups would be OK but they have a tendency to tip over as the leg is at an angle.  I am thinking about a thick kneeling mat.  I know the legs will sink initially, but hopefully they will settle, so provided that doesn't cause the tripod to shift that might be a possibility. 

Carole