• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Re: Deep Sky Camp - July 27th to 30th

Started by MarkS, Jul 23, 2012, 08:19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

I've just sent my booking request for two nightsl. See you there Mark.

MarkS

Not sure what time I'll arrive Fri night - they're starting up the St Pancras High Speed shuttle to Stratford for the Olympics and cutting down the number of High Speed commuter trains.  No idea how bad the effect will be for my travel home.

Mike

I'm hoping to get down as early as i can to avoid the rain. Saturday night looks like it will be clear.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

If the forecast for Saturday remains clear I may come down for one night.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Saturday night looks like it will be clear.

Yes - Saturday is looking hopeful :-)

julian

Just booked for Saturday night.
Julian

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
I'm hoping to get down as early as i can to avoid the rain. Saturday night looks like it will be clear.

Latest forecast is that the highest risk of thunderstorms is during Friday afternoon.  They should have passed over by early evening.

Quote from: MarkS
Not sure what time I'll arrive Fri night - they're starting up the St Pancras High Speed shuttle to Stratford for the Olympics and cutting down the number of High Speed commuter trains.  No idea how bad the effect will be for my travel home.

I was wrong - Olympic timetable starts on Saturday :-)

I'm soooo looking forward to this weekend - it's ages since I've been along to a DSC.

My Sat Box is already set to record the opening ceremony and the men's cycling road race :-)

Mark

MarkS

Not sure what time I'll arrive Fri night - they're starting up the St Pancras High Speed shuttle to Stratford for the Olympics and cutting down the number of High Speed commuter trains.  No idea how bad the effect will be for my travel home.

I was wrong - Olympic timetable starts on Saturday :-)

No, the Olympic timetable and the Olympic High Speed Shuttle has already started.  The special timetables they've been handing out for the last few weeks are wrong :-(

So.....   not sure what time I'll arrive Fri night

Mike

Just arrived at the field. Nobody else is here yet. It's nice and sunny :)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

Rose and I hope to get down tomorrow afternoon, with a bit of luck.  So, a cuppa won`t go amiss  :D

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Four of us turned up yesterday. Last night it was cloudy so no chance of any astronomy. We just sat around and chatted, drinking beer, cider and wine.

This morning is cloudy again. The fore cast is saying cloudy up until just after midday then it will clear a bit. I think tonight probably won't be good enough for imaging but should be good enough for visual.

Carole

That's a bummer Mike, was just thinking of coming down tonight, but my trusty YR.NO site says it will be clear all night.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Northiam~2641331/hour_by_hour.html

What's the condition of the ground there? 

Carole

MarkS

Ground is very hard and cracking.  Bring a mallet for the tent pegs.

Mike

Well hopefully your forecast is the correct one and it will be clear.

As Mark say's the ground is bone dry and hard. You definitely need a mallet to get the pegs in. I don't know why you keep thinking it's boggy all the time here. It's been baking hot sun for the last week remember.

Its nice and warm now and we are all outside enjoying the weather.

MarkS

Official SQM reading 20.9

Milky way very obvious.

Thanks Julian for the 1am hotdogs!!!