• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 22 June

Started by Fay, Jun 20, 2012, 08:09:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Who is going the weekend? I assume it is Rother. Weather not looking too good
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Weather's not looking bad but it doesn't look like imaging weather.

I'm game to go but haven't booked yet.  Might be a bit late to secure the corner area ...

The Thing

I will be going. Might be late evening arrival as I am decorating a shop on Friday.

Meteoblue says not too bad, clear Friday night but breezy. 7timer says roughly the same. BBC says woohoo it's going to be horrid we are a gloomy bunch get your brolly. I say where's the event shelter when you may need it!

Mike

Don't forget to book with Jackie at the campsite if you're going.

01797 253997

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I'm off fishing for the weekend and have a party to attend, so I won't be at this one.

Fay

Looks like heavy rain on sunday for packing up

The Thing

If no one else is going I might just stay at home :(

Fay

AAAh...............well see who is going even in the event of a lot of rain on the sunday

MarkS

Hmm....
It does look like heavy rain Sunday morning.  Haven't booked yet ...

Fay

Jackie has reserved the corner. Site has a lot of bookings the weekend.

Roy

Roy and I had hoped to make this one, whatever the weather, but now cannot  :( :(

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
Jackie has reserved the corner. Site has a lot of bookings the weekend.

Have you booked then?  If you or anyone else has booked then I'll definitely go.  Don't mind too much packing in the wet on Sunday.  But if they're forecasting wet, it's bound to be gloriously sunny  8)

Mark

Fay

well so far i am going, but getting hesitant, not sure what to do. Jackie thinks we are going at the moment

Carole

I'm thinking the weather is not going to be good plus I am doing the Solar Talk at High Elms on Sunday so don't think I can make this one.

Carole

Mike

What solar talk? I see no mention of any event this weekend in the last 2 committee meeting minutes.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Quote from: The Thing on Jun 20, 2012, 16:08:40
If no one else is going I might just stay at home :(
I've now done something dodgy to my knee so I won't be going anywhere fast. I'm hoping for better weather/mechanical health next month!

Carole

QuoteWhat solar talk?
It's the Outreach Open day "Solar Watch" at High Elms.

It's on the behind the scenes calendar and been arranged since the beginning of the year.
Also on the OAS Website Home page.

Carole

Rick

Quote from: Carole on Jun 21, 2012, 08:23:48It's on the behind the scenes calendar and been arranged since the beginning of the year.

It's also on the main website.

Fay

so not many left who may go the weekend. what shall we do? we could always go another weekend like last month, if the weather looks better & everyone is available

MarkS

I've just booked to go  :-)

Fay

Ok...so  1      :P  anyone else?

Fay

Julian is not going, as weather forecast not that good & he is still not really over his chest infection.

reluctantly i will not go, as weather really not looking good, i hope i am not the sacrificial lamb here! perhaps we could organise another weekend as we did before. i will advise Jackie

MarkS

I'm cancelling as well.
No-one is going now :-(

Fay

i am really sad, we will have to do another weekend. i have to take all my stuff back up the shed, disappointed

Carole

You nearly ended up going solo again Mark.

Carole

Fay

:P :thats what I thought. I did think I would have to keep Mark company if all else failed, i thought he was really looking forward to it

MarkS

The sacrifice worked!

It looks like a clear night tonight  :!

Carole

Bugger!

Tempted to go for a one nighter

Carole

MarkS

I was so looking forward to my camp sausages and beans that I've cooked it for myself anyway!

Very windy and gusty here - nearly as bad as last Saturday.

Mark

Fay

Oh poor Mark. I have been watching for tonight, but feel that it is a mixture of a bit of clear, wind & heavy showers

Fay

well there has been changeable weather, but a few nice intervals as well. not as bad, so far, as it has been painted  :cry:

MarkS

I feel deprived.
Deprived of the joy of packing my tent in the wind and rain!

mickw

Today's weather could have introduced a new DSC sport - Tent Hang Kite Gliding
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Well last night I had the joy of sleeping at Seaford campsite which is no more than 20 yards from the beach.  Anyway come 9:30 after a days walking etc I was pooped and I decided to go to kip, although the weather was getting really bad.

Well, I can sleep at any time in a tent, however Ian my mate, decided that I gave him food poisoning and was whining like a baby before he pooped off to the loo to well relieve himself, at which point it started chucking it down with rain.

I thought Ian had got it all wrong coming back to the tent because the guide ropes were twanging and all I could hear was moaning and really odd noises, I thought he was being quite ill. 

When Ian got back he said that the sunshine bus opposite us had lost a load of the kids who were running around the field.  He also said he felt a lot better and was going to sleep.  Which would have been good and the end to the noise if the couple next door had not started playing a mouth organ and small banjo, which in turn attracted the 8 south african lads who wanted them to come to their tent for some beer and fun.

Fortunately the weather then got really bad they all decided to goto bed, apart from the odd sunshine child who I could still head running around the field chasing a dog called Maggie.

The night was really windy are really wet, but did I like it, YES it was fun.

JohnP

But did you catch any fish... ;-)

MarkS

The joys of camping!

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: JohnP on Jun 25, 2012, 08:07:47
But did you catch any fish... ;-)

Did you see any on the BBQ yesterday?