• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Transit of Venus from Sussex

Started by Whitters, Jun 06, 2012, 08:47:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

We saw it in Sussex too , just...

It was a bit different to eight years ago when we got sun burnt watching the transit for 6.5 hours in bright sunshine, no chance of sun burn today ;-)
Got to the carpark at 03:50 GMT with low cloud looking very ominous. But the cloud was moving very fast, then it got worse with mist and fog hiding the transmitter at the Sussex Police training ground. With only minutes to go a break appeared and quickly moved across revealing the Sun and with it Venus on the edge of the Sun. I viewed it for a few minutes through the WO 66 scope, and thought about getting out the Webcam, but decided against it as the view was not going to last long and the Sun was still being shielded by mist and cloud. So got my 30D out and used the milar filter I made for the scope and managed to grab a few frames. Focus isn't brilliant but it was all rather a rush before more cloud rolled across.
The colour is false as the shots were taken through a milar filter.
The shots were taken using a 300mm telephoto lens f5.6 1/100 sec exposure at 04:43 GMT from Kings Standing car park.

Fay

Fantastic Paul, you did so well!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Another good result, well done Paul
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Nice Capture,

Totally clouded out in Normandy.

Mac.

JohnP

RobertM

You did very well Paul, well done.