• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Light Lunt LS60 B1200

Started by MarkS, Jun 09, 2012, 19:10:18

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

The sun finally came out!

I used the QHY5 for this - 200 frames of 5ms processed in Registax.

Not really sure why there's a top to bottom gradient.  I lost the prominences during processing - I need to try again so I can bring them out.

The colouring is false colour of course.

Full size version here:  http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2012/sun_09062012.jpg

Mark

JohnP

well I can see some little prominences... Very nice surface detail - If anything you could brighten it up a tad...

Looks promising though - John

Whitters

Nice Mark, I was looking at that super bright active region earlier thru my scope. Love these Lunt scopes they are great fun, and you don't get cold using them either  :P

MarkS

Quote from: Whitters
Nice Mark, I was looking at that super bright active region earlier thru my scope

www.spaceweather.com says that bright area is currently crackling with M-class flares.

Carole

Very nice Mark.
I think there is always a gradient with solar imaging - so I have been told. 

Some nice detail there, as said above it needs brightening a bit and perhaps some increase to the contrast to bring out those nice features.

Carole

Rick

Quote from: MarkS on Jun 09, 2012, 19:10:18Not really sure why there's a top to bottom gradient.

The filter on my PST is extremely angle-sensitive. Might the gradient be related to angle-sensitivity?

That bright active area was central and very distinct during the Venus transit (when there were no clouds in the way).

MarkS

Here's a reprocess of the data to remove some of the brightness "banding", to make the prominences a bit brighter and to increase overall contrast.  I also used AviStack instead of Registax.

The banding (in brightness and surface detail) is apparently caused by the tilt etalon.  The pressure tuned version of the etalon is supposed to be superior in this respect.  Anyhow, now I'm aware of the issue I can tweak the etalon to give the best compromise between banding and detail.

Full size here:  
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2012/sun_09062012v2.jpg

I'm still not entirely happy with the processing.  I need to play with the sequence a bit.

Mark

JohnP

Well it look pretty good to me - reprocess is a lot better - John

mickw

Nice one, I agree the reprocess is a lot better
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

When you sleep now?......... :o

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: Tony

That's the purpose of cloudy weather!

Tony G

Quote from: MarkS on Jun 11, 2012, 15:11:16
Quote from: Tony

That's the purpose of cloudy weather!

The way this weather is going, I can see 'Rip Van Winkle part 2' coming.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Much happier with this one, finished off in PixInsight ...

Full size:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2012/sun_09062012v3.jpg

Mark

Carole

Oh yes, that's a big improvement Mark.  Really like that.

Carole

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!