• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pelican Nebula 27-5-12 Rother Valley

Started by Carole, May 29, 2012, 11:37:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I did this on my extra night Sunday 27-5-12
33 x 5mins Modified Canon 450D no filters, captured in APT and dithering
ED80, guided with QHY5 and PHD on NEQ6

Having some issues with DSS with colour and removing dust, which I will discuss separately.  I have processed out the dust in this image.  

I think this is an improvement on the one I did earlier in the month, at least I got it all in this time.
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=8373.0

Mike

Carole why are your images always so tiny? Is that as big as they get ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I reduce them for the gallery it doesn't seem to accept larger images when I upload them which actually I find a bit annoying, you can always go to the gallery and click on the larger version.  
Originals are 4290w x 2856H (Pixels)
108.97cm W
72.54cm H

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Pelican_35_x_5mins_ED80_27-5-12_Rother_.jpg

Carole

JohnP

looking very nice - Out of your m13, iris America Neb - this is my fav.

Like Mike says good to always include link to full size.

John

Carole

Thanks John, I'm not happy with the colour, but that's another issue.

Carole

MarkS

Carole,

I think you've got some reasonable data there but if I'm brutally honest I think something has gone wrong in the processing.  The colour of the nebulosity doesn't look correct as you rightly said.  But also, the stars have no colour.

If you could process this image the same way you did your previous Pelican it would be far superior to the previous one.

Mark

Carole

MarkS

I hope you don't mind me posting a quick reprocess of your stacked TIF file on this thread:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=8408.15

It verifies that you've managed to capture some excellent data.

Well done!

Mark

Carole

Inspired by Mark's process of my Pelican I had another "go" at it using the stack with the Bias added.

I think this is much better, absolutely no idea why I was getting such a strange colour before.  The banding is still present but not as bad as when I tried to process it before, and most of the dust bunnies have gone, but why not all of them (I processed the last one out)?

Much happier with this now, but still don't understand what went wrong.

MarkS

That's looking very nice indeed - better than my processing effort!

It certainly must rank amongst your best ever images.

The area of stray blue light is a bit odd though - wonder what caused it.

Mark

Carole

Many thanks Mark and thanks for your help.

QuoteThe area of stray blue light is a bit odd though - wonder what caused it
Yes I agree, very odd.

Carole