• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sunspot

Started by spendrey, Jul 23, 2004, 22:17:00

Previous topic - Next topic

spendrey

I held some baader paper up to the sun early this morning and could see the big sunspot quite clearly.
Has anyone had a chance to image it yet? I might give it a go this evening.

Rick

I've been watching it for a few days now, but don't have any imaging kit. It's quite an impressive spot group, and is very nearly central at present.

The large filament I could see last week is still just visible as a prominence on the limb.

Rocket Pooch

There you go: -

JohnP

Hi,

I had a go today as well - A close up of the spots that Chris took - I used my Tal & a TouCam at prime. It looked very impressive - a lot more interesting than the Venus transit.

Cheers,  John

spendrey

Great photos Chris and John. There's some excellent details on yours John, can I ask what settings you were using?
With 2 kids under 3, getting the scope out in the daytime is almost impossible. I got a chance late yesterday afternoon though and saw the sunspots up close. However by the time I got my laptop and webcam setup the cloud rolled in, typical!
At least I can enjoy your photos though, well done.

Rick

Nice image, John. Great details. Thanks. :wink:

What optics and filters were you using? Baader film, or a flat-glass filter? Was it a single image, or stacked, or processed in some way?

I got a slightly lower-power (18mm) eyepiece for my PST on Saturday, but missed the opportunity to test it yesterday 'cos I slept in a bit late.... :wink:

JohnP

Hi,

I used my Tal-2m (6-inch F8)with a full aperture Baader solar film filter & my Toucam Pro at Prime. I captured using K3 at  1/1000 sec - gain 20% - Brightness about 25% (I had about 160 on the meter). The image is a stack of about 200 frames.

Hope that helps - John

spendrey

Have all the sunspots moved off now? I tried holding a bit of Baader paper up to the sun this morning and couldn't see anything.
Looks like I've missed my opportunity to get an image.

Simon

I projected the Sun using binoculars yesterday evening and could just make out the two large sunspots visible during the previous week at the rim of the disc.  There also seemed to be two fainter spots near the centre of the Sun but that's about your lot.

Rick

In Ha there are some filaments, but not much else, except on the rim near the spot group, where things are certainly happening...

Rick

The small sunspot pair near the centre of the disk is quiet, but there's a nice prominence on the limb near that large sunspot group. :wink: