• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Helpers welcome for Planet Watch --May12th .

Started by Sue, Apr 30, 2012, 15:35:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

]Please note workshop has now been cancelled.[/b

As you will have seen we are running two events on Saturday 12th May. A telescope workshop for beginners 17:00 - 18:30 and then a Planet Watch public event starting with talk by Greg at 19:00, going up to observing site and finishing about 21:00.

We have a few members who have already kindly offered to help at these events, if you would like to join us with either the telescope workshop and share your knowledge with new members,and/or the public observing during the evening please let me know.

Thanks, Sue

Mike

Do we know how many people will be turning up for the workshop yet Sue?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kylee

I'd be happy to help and bring along my kit if that would be of use? As I am sort of new to this I may be of some help to the beginners  :)

Can help with both sessions if you like.

Kylee.

Sue

Thank you Kylee. I remembered you saying you could come in the pub, it is good that you can do both sessions.

Mike,

So far had interest from three people on Thursday. Kenny was going to mention it to his scout group studying for an astronomy badge. No one has e-mailed me yet as a result of announcement on web page.

Do you know names of any new members that have been to the observing evenings? There were several at a recent meeting (cloudy one) who interested in some help with their scopes. We could ring round in case thay have not spotted the announcement.

doug

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Sue

Vera

Thank you for replying to my PM Sue.  I'll watch this forum post for updates on the evening.

Vera

Sue

I am sorry to say there has been very little interest in the workshop and so this part of the event is to be postponed until another date.Vera, there will be an oportunity to help set up a  scope if you would like to help with the observing group on the field I will confirm the time later on today but most likely from 6:30pm. I shall be bringing the society Meade ETX 105.

Please watch this space for more information.

Cheers, Sue.

Sue

I have sent running programme of evening by e-mail to all volunteers.If it hasn't arrived please let me know.

If anyone else wants to come along you are very welcome. There is no restriction on numbers up on the observing site (the same place we
go on observing evenings). However, we are limited to numbers in the meeting room for the talk (fire regs),and must give priority to those who have pre- booked as is an outreach event so please be aware we may not be able to seat extra people.

Vera

I'm sorry the telescope workshop has had to be postponed. Thanks to lots of help from various forums, I'm actively in the process of buying a scope, so some news to share soon I hope.

Sue, I'm still very happy to come and help where I can, planning to be at BEECHE shortly after 6.30.

Vera

Sue

Mike

The weather forecast is looking very promising for tonight :)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kenny

Sue

Thank you to all members who came to help and share their passion of the night sky with the public this evening  

The event went very well, we had 43 people attending the talk and at least 10 more came to observe on the field later on. The early evening cloud dispersed slowly and as twilight fell the planets shone through a high light cloud cover. We had good views of Venus,Mars and Saturn -which was stunning.

Greg's talk was very well recieved and he had lots of questions to answer from children and adults at the end. We had a good variety of scopes to look through up on the field, thank you to everyone who brought their instruments to share. I would also like to thank Jim and Carole for their work beforehand publicising the event and taking the bookings.

Sue.

Kylee

What a fantastic evening it was...can't believe the clouds cleared for us. I was as excited as some of the people seeing Saturn for the first time! That was a first for me through my scope so all in all a brilliant night.

Kylee  ;)

Kenny

It was really good to see how interested the parents and kids were, also how surprised how much astronomy was at their fingertips without requiring a telescope.