• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello

Started by AndrewB, Apr 21, 2012, 16:09:22

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewB

I live over in Streatham Hill and have retired from Structural Engineering. I've always been fascinated by the universe since finding a tiny planetarium on the top floor of the Science Museum. It held about four people and was initially built for pilot training. Unfortunately, it was removed in the 1960's.
I've taken to spending a few weeks, twice a year, in NW Scotland in my camper van. I would like a portable telescope to use in those clear out of Streatham skies. Eventually I would like to try some astrophotography.

Carole

Welcome to the Forum Andrew.  Will you be joining OAS or just the forum?

Having a portable set up for observing is desirable, but you say you also want to get into Astrophotography and for that you'll need a special set up which is probably less portable than what you have in mind.  Moon and planets can be imaged with a simple set up but deep sky imaging requires a motorised equatorial mount capable of guiding, and there is a lot of additional kit needed as well.  You could of course have two sets of kit - portable for observing, and less portable for imaging.

Just make sure you get some good advice on what is needed before you buy anything, many people enthusiastically buy what is a really good telescope set up only to find it is not suitable for astro-imaging.

Lots of people on here to give you advice.

I envy you the campervan, I would go to the Galloway NP in Scotland with it if I had one.

Carole

doug

Welcome to you Andrew, from Rose and Doug. I used to live at the top end of Streatham Common from whence my avid interest started, looking at the stars when I was eight years old..... I think..... a long time ago. You will get a lot of sensible advice from members of the OAS about what to buy but the most important thing is a sturdy mount, which won`t wobble !!

Come and join us.... come and join us......

Regards, Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

mickw

Welcome Andrew, you'll find or be given lots of information here.

QuoteWill you be joining OAS or just the forum?
Carole stop harassing the new posters  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Greetings and a warm welcome from the canaries, can't beat the dark skies here.
I think you will find us a friendly bunch and any questions you may have will be
Easily answered for you, unfortunately living in streatham means you will have to put up
With the nice orange glow of London, but there are still surprises to see even from
There, above all enjoy the night sky.

Mac. 8)