• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First light with my new SBIG ST8300M & FLT110

Started by Ivor, Mar 12, 2012, 22:48:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

Oh Boy what a difference a decent camera makes

Just managed to capture 8 X 10m @ -20C subs of Rosette in H-alpha, while working out the new software and camera, I still need to adjust the reducer as the stars are elongated in the corners.

Going from struggling with EOS to this is only going to be a joy I have more data than I know what to do with  :D

MarkS

Very nice Ivor.  It's certainly a great first light!

Narrowband imaging is definitely the way to go in a light polluted location and the Rosette always looks particularly good in H-alpha.

If you can manage it, get some H-alpha of the Horsehead before it disappears until next Winter - the moon is out of the way now.  It will be a great scale through your FLT110 and you'll be amazed at what you can see.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Well done Ivor, you will now be into long integrations and thejoy of colour balance :-) looks good for a 1st light.

Jim

Congrats Ivor, that's a lovely first image

Ivor

Thanks everyone, I need to create the bias and flats frames to see if they will improve it and I'm sure I'll have loads of processing questions on Friday night :)

Alas M42 is behind the neighbour's apple tree by the time I get home so I'll have to wait for the autumn, my next target is IC443 - Jellyfish nebula
if I get some clear nights I'll be able to collect the other narrow bands as well. Hopefully I'll enough data to play with while I wait for the next clear night!!

Fay

i also was amazed when I got my first Rosette. you get value for money with this nebula

really good first light Ivor 
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ivor

Having borrowed an image processing DVD of Carole (Thanks again) I've revisited this image, I need to learn a few more tricks in Photoshop but I think I've made progress.

Mike

I prefer the original image myself. I think you've overcooked this version.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan