• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Feb 24-27 DSC

Started by MarkS, Feb 21, 2012, 20:55:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylee

A thoroughly good day thank you. I look forward to staying over and getting really stuck in  :lol:
See you all soon
Kylee

Fay

cant believe that light, Mark!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
That light looks quite bad!

Luckily it doesn't shine directly into "our" corner of the field but it does add to the general glow from that direction.

Rick

Yeah, that's a pretty unpleasant light source to have near a dark sky site... :(

mickw

Might improve when there are some leaves on the trees
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Feb 27, 2012, 21:16:37

That light looks quite bad!

No it don't. It's a great beacon to guide us to Indian heaven..................go into the light!!!!......go into the light!!!!

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

blimey - light looks terrible - reminds me of those 5000W floodlights you used to have out the back of your house Chris...? If that lights gonna stay on it'll be a right downer.. bit like the light at that camp ground in Romney....

Rocket Pooch

Ha ha John, I had forgotten about them.

I know how to sort this out, we all turn up and tell them to turn them off or we will not order food.

Second thoughts I'd need the light to get me back after a currey and 8 pints of Cobra, nom nom......

And, Fay can find her way back from the loo as well, that's a positive. I still remember our little lost lamb.

But Dita von Fay will not make a show because that light will drown out the show?

Hmmmmm, lots of positives and negatives?

Carole

OMG, that's ruined a nice dark site.

Carole

MarkS

I think they were designed to light the whole of their car park.  To be charitable, it was probably installed during the day, so no-one really knew how far the light was spreading.  A slight adjustment to its angle would make a lot of diffence.

We tried an experiment where we spent 10 minutes in the camping area within the wooded area, to see how much darker in was.  We found that our eyes definitely adapted to the dark and we could easily see much fainter objects.  It really makes a difference to be shielded away from the glow of the various lights in the area.

Mark

Mike

I guess it's time to start recee'ing some alternative campsites.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Maybe someone could show them the photo next time... or perhaps send it to the owner of the campsite..

Mike

John,

I have done that. Jackie has replied again:-

Goodness that photo says it all!

I'm afraid our tree cutting probably hasn't helped either.

I have inspected the light this morning and though it has always been there I think they have changed the angle so it shines much further. There wasn't anyone around who could speak decent English - so I'll try again over the weekend. We decided it would be easy for us to scale up a ladder and adjust the angle (or remove the bulb!). I'm sure we'll be able to get it sorted.

Have you ever considered using the wooded area or would it not be suitable?

Best Wishes
Jackie

Well at least they are willing to help us out.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan