• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Howdy

Started by Les R, Feb 27, 2012, 20:58:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Les R

Hi

My 11 year old has a reasonable interest in Astronomy, which has in turn rekindled my own! I did use to own a 8" Newtonian about 30 years ago, but it never really got used - mostly because I didnt know what I was doing! It took me an hour to find the moon - and even got brought up by my best man when I got married! lol

Anyway, I've been looking to buy a telescope that we can both use (supervised of course) and in particular for photography. I do appreciate the advice on not jumping in and making costly mistakes - but that didnt stop me almost buying an 8" LX90 on ebay today! (Alas my "offer" got gazumped with a buy it now 2 minutes after posting!) Seemed a bargain too!

Obviously if nothing else, it would be great to get some advice.... look first hand at a modern telescope in action and hopefully a visit to view some DSO.

I just had a very quick look around the site. Loved the time lapse video, which I'll also be having a go with and done one of these I assume?

Cheers

Rick

doug

Welcome to you, Les. Come and say hello to us all at the next Observing Evening which is on the Tuesday, 5th March.  Meet us in the Change of Horses in Farnborough village at about 7.15ish.  Nice evening; we go up to High Elms..... cloudy evening; we have a beer or fifty-one.  :lol:

Rose and Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Kylee

Carole

Welcome to OAS Forum, will you be joining the society?

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Feb 28, 2012, 17:57:46
Welcome to OAS Forum, will you be joining the society?

I intend to at least come along to pick your brains and see if this is going to be something my youngster wants to take up. He certainly likes astronomy and I'm thinking a hands on involvement will actually be beneficial. Obviously a lot to understand and there is never going to be better advice than from people like yourselves (and not pushy salesman who know exactly what I need).

PhilB

Welcome, Les. Astronomy is a subject that can be taken up at many levels, some comparatively cheap, others not so. I do hope we can encourage you to come aboard!
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein