• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

CCD filters and filter wheels

Started by Carole, Mar 09, 2012, 12:54:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Since getting my Atik314L+ I have not had a chance to use it yet because of the Iceland trip and then I have been looking after my mum for the last two weeks.  The only thing I have tried to do was take some flats and 1 single image just to try it out.  

I just wanted some advice on filters that I already have and will they be of any use to me:

I have an IR filter (this is in addition to the one attached to my webcam).  
I have an ultrablock Narrowband LP filter - it says it has a 99.9% blocking of mercury and sodium emission pollution bands and a very high transmission of H beta and ionised Oxygen.  It does say it is not generally recomended for Astro-photography (sold to me ages ago for observing).

Don't want to get rid of them and then find I need them.

Don't have a filter wheel yet, want to get to grips with the camera first.

Also, not having used a filter wheel, I am tempted to get a manual one as I think motorised is just one more thing that can go wrong and to me manual is simple.  Plus they are cheaper.

But before I make a decision, I need to know how electronic filter wheels work.  
Can you ask the software to change from one filter to another during a "run", or is this no use anyway because you need to re-focus.  If this is the case I'd rather get the manual one.  I don't mind hopping in and out of the observatory to change filters as I don't have an electric focusser anyway and don't particularly want one for the same reason as above.  

Thanks in anticipation.

Carole

The Thing

APT can now run a filter wheel with an ASCOM driver and let you store a focus correction for each filter (useful if you have an electronic focuser).

Ivor

I have just bought the SBIG FW8, all the decent software will support a FW so I'd go automatic specially as you have an observatory. I'll bring it along on Friday and update you on my trials and tribulations this week. Two clear nights this week so I hoping to work out how to use the new software and take some H-Alpha shots of Rosette before it disappears.

Mac

If you make sure all your filters are parfocal, you should not have to change focus between them.

Mac.