• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Feb DSC pictures

Started by julian, Feb 28, 2012, 21:57:29

Previous topic - Next topic

julian

Fay

I think they are all fantastic!!!!! what a great batch of pictures. beautiful light & composition. i really did miss something last weekend one way or another
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

That's a great set of pictures Julian.  I wish I had gone on that river walk now.

PhilB

Great pictures, Julian. Really must get along some time.....

Not too sure about that light though!
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mike

Very nice pictures Julian.

Phil, you can see by the star trails on the light image that it was a long exposure. It was a PITA but it wasn't as bad as it looks on that photo. I'm sure we can write to them and get them to turn it off. If they don't, we just take an air rifle next time.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Very nice Julian.  Is that your Astrotrac pier setup ?

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Very nice Julian.  Is that your Astrotrac pier setup ?

Paul's.  A very nice piece of kit.

Mike

I sent an email to Jackie concerning the light and this i sher reply:-

Dear Mike,

Colin told me that the light was a problem and I understand completely.

We have built quite a good relationship with the owners of the restaurant. Unfortunately the 'partners' who make all the decisions are not there on a day to day basis so I think a phone call or email from you may not reach the right person.

If you're happy for me to do so I will talk to them on your behalf. They are keen to work together with us and quite frankly are hoping that our visitors will boost their business.

I will try and speak with one of the partners over the next few days and keep you informed so you can make a decision about your next visit. I cannot see any reason for them not to agree to turn off the light after closing.

Best Wishes
Jackie
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

So appart from the wet, the smell and now the lights is a good venue :-)

All round Mick's garden next time.

Fay

I think they may expect a bulk indian takeaway to be ordered next DSC, that will upset the cesspit :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

QuoteAll round Mick's garden next time.
-

There's no sky at my place at the moment

I blame Jim and his new mount  :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Just realised I posted this on the wrong thread. Jackie replied to me after I sent her a photo of the light.....

Goodness that photo says it all!

I'm afraid our tree cutting probably hasn't helped either.

I have inspected the light this morning and though it has always been there I think they have changed the angle so it shines much further. There wasn't anyone around who could speak decent English - so I'll try again over the weekend. We decided it would be easy for us to scale up a ladder and adjust the angle (or remove the bulb!). I'm sure we'll be able to get it sorted.

Have you ever considered using the wooded area or would it not be suitable?

Best Wishes
Jackie

Whitters

The wooded area especially at the far end was not bad at all. Once you get the direct light out of your eyes the sky was rather good. All the targets that were imaged on Saturday night were above the tree line. Te only disavantage was the lack of 240v. But we could get a long cable or use batteries like we used to.
A discussion/suggestion was also made to check out Penny's field again.