• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Leo Triplet from Feb DSC

Started by MarkS, Feb 27, 2012, 23:47:40

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Here's the Leo Triplet taken partly at the Feb DSC and partly last weekend.

4.5 hours at DSC and 5 hours last weekend making a 9.5 hour total of 5 minute subs at ISO 800.  All taken under much better than average skies with no filters except IR/UV.

Usual H-alpha modified Canon 350D on Tak Epsilon 180ED (500mm focal length at f/2.8 ).
EQ6 mount guided with a QHY5 camera literally stuffed into the back of an old 300mm Nikon lens and piggybacked on the Tak.

Full scale image here (slightly cropped):
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2012/leotriplet25022012.jpg

Fay

Mark, you have certainly gathered a lot of info for this group. I am not sure on the processing.

To my eyes, i think it could be a bit sharper & also the outer glow of the galaxies needs to be a bit more subtle.

tell me what you think

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

doug

That`s my favourite telescope view, Fay...... and I think it`s better than the one in the Sky at Night calendar.

Hmph......
Always look on the bright side of life ...

JohnP

Really nice widefield of this area Mark & fantastic detail - loads of background fuzzies.. also outer arms of galaxies starting to show nicely. The only negative for me is the big fat square star in the middle (but then that's down to taste & I know you can't do anything about it...)

Really good detail though - John

Carole

Wow, 9.5 hours on the Tak Epsilon.

Lovely image Mark, first time I've seen the outer nebulosity of M66.

I'd prefer to see a little increase in saturation it looks slightly washed out to me, but again that's according to personal taste.

Fantastic stuff.

Carole

RobertM

Very nice Mark.  That compares very favourably with this 2006 APOD http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap060309.html

PhilB

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

I've just done a total reprocess because I wasn't really happy with it.  I think the new process looks more natural and has better detail.

Full size version here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2012/leotriplet25022012v2.jpg

Fay

A very nice reprocess, Mark, sharper yet more subtle detail really shows up. So worth the hours taken getting it. 
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I like the re-process Mark, well worth doing.  A lovely capture.

Carole

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Jim

Amazing capture Mark. There are loads of faint fuzzies. Is this the OAS deepfield?

RobertM

Definitely more detail in the galaxies, and very much worth the reprocess.  I'm presuming some of the odd looking faint stars are in fact galaxies.

Great capture !

Robert

Kylee

Tony G

Absolutely stunning Mark.  :o So much to see!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Sergio