• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

EQ7 - Possibly

Started by mickw, Jan 30, 2012, 00:09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

A video preview of the elusive EQ7 from August 2011
Sounds like a Meade  :-?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rrUwe3Se3Q
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

Looks like a very substantial mount. Not too sure about those trailing motor cables and, having gone to great length to make sure you can't accidentally disconnect the motors, they then give you an easy to pull out power connector.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

I agree with Phil about the cables.  I also thought they might have taken a leaf out of Software Bisques book and had through the mount power/dat cabling and to the saddle plate.  There is also the possibility of a half baked job on cheap bearings like the cheaper mounts but the permanent encoders are definitely a step forward as well as the auto home.  Who's going to take the plunge first then !

Quote... CALL FOR THE PRICE !
Anyone done that yet ?

Mike

TS is even better still as their mount is free!!! :D
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Robert i've been wanting to get an AP900 for many years now so i'm very interested to see what the price of this mount will be and also how it will compare in performance.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Yes a lot depends on the price but I can't see it reaching the same level of performance plus there will I'm sure be teething issues.  The 50Kg loading is also a question - it's certainly a lot but is that for imaging or visual...  I know AP and SB (Paramount) quoted loads are for photographic use.  I'm also thinking that the type of person who could afford 40-50Kg of equipment would probably by one of the more expensive alternatives.  Given that I think this mount is going to appeal to those who want a bigger EQ6 for 15-30Kg of equipment in their observatory and it has to be priced to suit that audience.