• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moon in Narrow Band

Started by julian, Jan 26, 2012, 01:01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

julian

Moon in Narrow band  2-2-2012
SW 190, Canon modified 450D, Temperature set to 0c ,Baader 2" narrow band filters
Ha = Red 15 x 1/200 Second,  OIII = Green 15 x 1/200 Second, SII = Blue 15 x 1/200 Second ISO 400
RegiStax 6, CS5

link to original size
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6763115519_8d99299640_o.jpg

Rocket Pooch

It has some colour! Cool, I like the moon!!!!!

MarkS

I don't think I've ever seen it in narrowband before!

It's come out really well but what made you do it?

The Thing

That's magazine submission stuff. The Appennines really stand out.

The narrowband seems to have made the variations in surface composition much easier to pick out. Have you tried Virtual Moon Atlas? There are geology overlays and other stuff that may explain the colour variations and the reflectance in different wavelengths. Aslo it can drive your mount once you have synced on a feature e.g Tycho.

Mike

Very nice, but it would be interesting to see an image with the same set-up but without the filters to compare them.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

The red H-alpha channel looks a bit noisier than the green and blue.  I wonder why that should be?

Mike

Julian i've just noticed your avatar. I like it ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Julian, what a lovely Moon. very crisp & clear

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!