• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

BBC Stargazing Live

Started by Vera, Jan 10, 2012, 20:10:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Vera

As well as looking at the TV coverage for this event, is it worth making an effort to go to one of the many other events being organised around the same time?  Taking into account my 'newbie' status, lack of success at being able to see anything recently 'cos of the weather, I thought a trip to Romney Marsh Visitor Centre and/or The Langton Star Centre, both of whom are hosting events, may be worthwhile.  Herstmonceaux is also hosting an event.

Or is it best to stay in my comfy chair in front of the telly with me feet up?

Vera

Carole

Hi Vera, I have a feeling that these events are designed for introducing newbies and you would be ideal candidates. 

Carole

Kylee

Hi there and Happy New Year. My film has been signed off and looks great apparently and is definitely made it to the show. Not sure which night of the 3 it's going out but if I find out I will let you all know. Can't wait.
See you all soon
Kylee :lol:

MarkS

Hi Kylee,

I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Mark

doug

Brilliant, Kylee.  We are really looking forward to seeing it and I will record it somehow, either on a disc or a videotape.... remember those??  I don`t have the hard-drive facility on any of my stuff..... aaaah, shame, they all cried !!!  :cry:

Anyway, very well done.  Not bad for a newbie, huh  ;)

Rug  and Dose.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Kylee

You are funny Doug. Say Hi to Rose too...Happy New Year and see you soon  :D

Kylee

Hello again

BBC news contacted me today, they had been given my details by the filming crew. I have been interviewed today for an article in Tuesdays BBC news magazine online on the news website. I did mention the OAS to try and get a plug so fingers crossed we will get a mention. I don't know what's happening at the moment but it's really exciting.

Here is a link to the website for Tuesday  :D   Kylee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine/

Vera

Sounds as if some congratulations are in order Kylee.  I'll "record" all three nights anyway so sure to enjoy your film whichever day it's scheduled.

Hope the skies are going to clear a bit.  Well, I was warned that having astronomy as a hobby in the UK was sometimes a bit of a heavy duty bummer.  I'm beginning to understand why. :(

Vera

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Vera
Well, I was warned that having astronomy as a hobby in the UK was sometimes a bit of a heavy duty bummer.  I'm beginning to understand why. :(

Yep - the UK is a bad place to do astronomy  :-(
If it's not the weather playing up then it's the light pollution :-( :-(
If it's not the light pollution, it's the jet stream causing atmospheric turbulence :-( :-( :-(
Then there's all the usual technical problems with the kit :-( :-( :-( :-(

Tony G

:o :o :o :o :o

Well, I entered the link tonight and was quite shocked at what confronted me, and want to know what this has to do with astronomy, unless it is is different documentary that was filmed.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Kylee

Hahaha....that link is the right one it's just that you should use it on Tuesday next week. Just posted it so you will all know where to look. This is a separate interview with the news team...not the filming for Stargazing  :lol:

Hope that sorts out the confusion

Kylee  :D

Ian

Obviously Tony, what Kylee is trying to say is, "I hope you found the link I posted of some use in dealing with your issues".

She's a lot more subtle than most of us here ;) :P

:D

Vera

Quote from: MarkS on Jan 11, 2012, 21:03:26
Quote from: Vera
Well, I was warned that having astronomy as a hobby in the UK was sometimes a bit of a heavy duty bummer.  I'm beginning to understand why. :(

Yep - the UK is a bad place to do astronomy  :-(
If it's not the weather playing up then it's the light pollution :-( :-(
If it's not the light pollution, it's the jet stream causing atmospheric turbulence :-( :-( :-(
Then there's all the usual technical problems with the kit :-( :-( :-( :-(

But the people are really nice :P  :P :P  :P