• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

W7 reinstall

Started by mickw, Dec 30, 2011, 15:14:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

No, I will not ditch W7 and install XP, Linux etc.

My laptop is being a complete git at the moment with Windows Task Manager, amongst other things, freezing and dragging everything else down, I'm frequently needing to "press the button" to restart the thing.
It seems I also forgot to activate the System Restore  :!

A reinstall is now on the cards  :(
Mark posted a link how to reinstall the OS only without killing the apps which I intend giving a shot.

I have a copy of XP that belongs to a different PC so the question is -
Will the Windows Key (belonging to the laptop) activate the appropriate W7 version from a different disk ?

I understand the W7 disk contains all versions and it's the key that activates the appropriate version
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mick,

Download the western digital disk checker 1st mine was doing this and it was the hard drive, has gone back to dell.  Or run the on-line virus checker from microsoft, most virus scanners do not pick everything up.

Then reinstall.

mickw

Couldnt find the WD drive tool but ran disk fixer and MS virus thing.
Didnt get any notifications but it seems to be working OK at he moment

Just started the deep scan option in MS virus thing so laptop might be occupied for a few hours   :-?

Mac

QuoteMy laptop is being a complete git at the moment with Windows Task Manager, amongst other things, freezing and dragging everything else down, I'm frequently needing to "press the button" to restart the thing.

That is windows 7 whats the problem :cheesy:

Mac

XP through and through.

mickw

Quote from: Mac on Jan 01, 2012, 17:40:11
QuoteMy laptop is being a complete git at the moment with Windows Task Manager, amongst other things, freezing and dragging everything else down, I'm frequently needing to "press the button" to restart the thing.

That is windows 7 whats the problem :cheesy:

Mac

XP through and through.

I hate you  :(