• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Quick Rosette

Started by Rocket Pooch, Dec 18, 2011, 15:47:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Fitted a new focuser to the ED80 soI thought I'd give it a go.  Here's 7x10 Minute Ha, not yet calibrated.

Rosette Ha Quick by chrissuddell, on Flickr

MarkS

Beautiful.  Lovely stars - which flattener are you using?

Gotta love the ED80!

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mark,

Its the skywatcher dedicated flatterer reducer, .85, it works really well on the scope.  There is some field rotation on the image, I did not have the guide scope aligned with the main scope, due to laziness.

Chris

RobertM

Great image Chris, there's an awful lot there for 70mins, it just goes to show that you can't beat dark skies.  You also can't beat that reducer, it's just about perfect with that scope.

Robert

Tony G

Great image Chris.
Soon hope to have the SW ED120 up and running, which has the dedicated flattener. (not that I know what to do with it yet! :!)

High Five. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

julian

Great image Chris
Just started on the flaming star nebula with Ha and 450D

julian

Fay

gosh that is good Chris. I thought you had bought that reducer ages ago. Not taken tonight as well??

Jealous
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Fay,

I've had the reducer for years now, I do use it, but the focuser was a pain, this has now been fixed and the focusing is perfect.

I changed all my software a upgraded the scopes they all seem to work better now.  

If I did not have the Limits checkbox on in EQMod I would have run through the Horse Head image for the evening just to get the finer details out of the nebula.  But the scope went into flip mode and I moved onto the Rosette.

It's now clear tonight here, but I have to goto work, so I'm here in the warm.  Maybe I can add to these images over the winter.

Chris

Fay

it must be clearer outside as my last sub looks the best so far

Fay

i could do with a fine focuser on the ED80, i must say

PhilB

Great image, Chris. There's a lot of nice detail. Is the focuser upgrade a skywatcher offering or something else?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

RobertM

Chris, why did your scope automatically flip - I'm sure I don't get that issue.

Rocket Pooch

Hi Phil,

The upgrade is a lacerta upgrade, I think Mike has it as well, http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accFocusers

Robert,

On EQ mod this used to be off by default, because I completely rebuilt the laptop and installed the latest driver where it is now on by default (Enable Limits), it caused the mount to stop tracking.

Chris

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

In EQAscom 1.24s there is an option in the Limits dialog to turn automatic flips on or off as Robert aludes. On the main small display panel there is a checkbox to allow you to force a flip when doing a goto, I used this last night as the camera was getting too close to the tripod leg.

Lovely picture BTW.