• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by Vera, Nov 25, 2011, 11:09:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Vera

I came to last night's meeting with my Husband as guests and we left as members.  We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and appreciated the warm welcome we received.  Thank you.

I've always been interested in "what's up there?" and now have the opportunity to start learning.  With no science or maths knowledge at all - not for girls - I know this will be a steep learning curve.  During the last month, when I began my quest for knowledge, everything has been fascinating and has only reinforced my desire to find out more.  My Husband has also become interested which for me is an added bonus.

Both Ron and I look forward to coming to the meetings and being involved in the Society's many activities.

Vera

Mac

Greetings and a warm welcome,
I hope you enjoy you new found quest,
as you found out last night the biggest problem with astronomy in the uk is the cloud,
but you learn to live with it.

If you want any knowledge you will find us a nice friendly bunch always willing to share information,

to help you on you way you might want to have a look at one of these,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Planisphere-Northern-Degrees-Astronomy/dp/054008817X/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322227828&sr=8-1-spell

Mac.

Carole

Welcome Vera, was it you I chatted to walking up from the car park to the Beeche Centre?  It was dark and all I can remember was it was a new female.

Anyway, welcome to OAS, as said before we are a friendly and helpful group.  If you decide to buy any equipment, do get some advice beforehand as there are diffierent telescopes and mounts for different purposes.  It will just save you buying the wrong thing.

Do come to the open day on 3rd, though I think the lecture is fully booked (unless a number don't turn up), but if it's a clear evening we will be looking through members telescopes.

Carole

PhilB

Welcome aboard, Vera. It was nice to meet you the other evening. I look forward to seeing you at some of our other sessions where, weather permitting, you'll be more than welcome to share the use of some or our telescopes.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mike

Welcome Vera. Hope you can join us for the observing sessions. The best way to learn about the sky is to get out there with others who know their way around and can help.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Welcome to you both and I agree with Mike, try to get to the observing sessions - Although we haven't managed to see much of the sky lately due to the weather.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional