• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NEWBEE!

Started by JamieM, Jan 18, 2012, 00:53:53

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieM

Hello everyone out there!
I am a relative newcomer to practical Astronomy although i have always been fascinated by the sheer scale and beauty of whats out there(Hale-Bopp in 97 and the eclipse in 99 spring to mind).
I have read many books on the subject and generally have found the more i read the more i  need to understand.
With this in mind i feel i would benefit from real practical experience from people who could point me in the right direction(literally!!).
I would love to come to a viewing night if possible and perhaps learn more about the constellations, my particular fave is Orion/Alpha Orionis(suprise suprise).
Please be gentle with me though as i am a true novice and i would be grateful for any feedback you can give me.
Many Thanks  Jamie

MarkS

Jamie,

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to seeing you at OAS.

You'll certainly benefit from the viewing nights and maybe even the monthly "Deep Sky Camps" as well.  We have a DSC this weekend down near Henfield but camping isn't everyone's thing - especially in sub-zero temperatures!  At DSCs we tend to concentrate on imaging.

Mark

doug

Hi Jamie.  A warm welcome to you.  You might be interested to know there is an Observing evening this coming Tuesday evening, which is held at High Elms, near Orpington.  We meet at 7.15pm at the "Change of Horses" pub in Farnborough village.  Just walk in and ask at the bar if you don`t spot a likely astronomy candidate and they will direct you.  If it gets cloudy, then we just stay and have a beer and have multiple discussions about everything.

Come and enjoy.  Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Kylee

Hey...see you all there  :lol:

Carole

Welcome Jamie, Look forward to meeting you at one of our sessions.

Carole

Mike

Hi Jamie.

+1 for being interested in astronomy.
+1 for wanting to join your local friendly astro society
+1 for wanting to brave the cold and come join us standing ina damp field staring at clouds
-3 for using the word 'Newbee'

;)

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Yep welcome Jamie, hope to see you at the meetings
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Greetings and a cold and clear welcome.

Mac.