• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

UPdating AVG

Started by Carole, Oct 27, 2011, 12:51:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

QuoteWhy don't you just change the time normally?
Chris if you read the thread above you will see Mac recommended I check the time in the bios as well as the time on the laptop which is correct, the problem is I am having difficulty accessing the BIOS.

Quotejust keep tapping it when you turn it on.
I'll give that a try Mac.  Yes it's the keyboard on the laptop.  I take it then F10 is the right key to press?

Carole

Mac

If thats what it says on the screen during boot then yes.

Mac.

mickw

Why not forget about clocks, uninstall AVG then download and install it again
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Already did that Mick.  Still tells me that the AVG is out of date would you believe it.

Carole

mickw

Plan B

Just give him the laptop anyway - he'll probably have it sorted in 10 minutes

Mike

Why not just install a different antivirus?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteInsert Quote
Why not just install a different antivirus?
could do, but hardly any space on the disk.

Finally got into BIOS.
Only date I could find in anything on there was in File/System info where it said the ROM date was 10/13/2001 and in MORE it said the keyboard controller date was 10/10/01
No options to change either of these though.

If this can't be sorted easily I am not going to bother any-one with doing it for me as I rarely put it on-line.  Normally only if I need to download a programme and as I have everything set up for my Vista laptop now, that is not likely to happen.  I only wanted to use it on line when my grandchildren come round so I don't have to let them use my other computers (desktop or Vista).  Just in case they muck anything up.  

I do however use it for networking to my observatory (now Phil has mended the ethernet port).  

Carole

Fay

I have AVG free version, but I am getting reminders that it runs out in 3 days & I have to now purchase it. It this correct, not free any more?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

I think they have a free version and a trial version (of the full thing), sounds like you downloaded the trial rather than the free.

See what happens if you ignore the warning.

Mac

QuoteSee what happens if you ignore the warning.

listen to the voices they are always right. :twisted:

Mac

Ivor

There are two types of updates with AVG, virus database and actual application version. AVG recently upgraded the version of AVG to version 2012 if you are running an older version they probably stopped supplying updated virus databases and you are being told the virus db is out of date. Check the version, if it isn't 2012 deinstall it and load the latest version.

Hope it helps.

Fay

Thanks Ivor, will sort it out

Fay

have one day to go & downloaded the free version but am told, the free version will only last a day. I must have some protection in place by tomorrow. Help!

Ivor

Which version are you trying to use is it off this page? http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download
You need to select the first column.

Fay

No the page did not look like that. I will give it a go, not sure how it will like the existing 1 day left version. Thanks Ivor