• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

UPdating AVG

Started by Carole, Oct 27, 2011, 12:51:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I am trying to update the AVG on my clapped out old XP so my grandson can use it - using mobile broadband.

I haven't used it on line for some time so wanted to update AVG which I have done,  it has downloaded an update and I've re-started, but Antivirus and Antispyware still says it is out of date.  So I ask it to update again.  It tells me there are no more updates required and then promptly the Antivirus and antispyware icons go orange again and tell me it is out of date.

Any ideas what is happening here?

Carole

Mike

If it's been left for a long time without an update then it may need several updates to get it up to date.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Hi Mike, even though it is telling me no more updates are required?

Carole

Mike

Did you try turning it off and back on again?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Yes, it also said I would need to do so for the updates to take effect.

Carole

Mac

check your date and time in the bios as well as the system clock, as they might have reset if its not been used for that long.

Mac

Carole

Duh, never use bios, no idea where or how to find it.

Will check the system clock. 

Thanks

Carole

Mac

go get into the bios you need to reboot and press F2, (normally)
it normaly tells you on your screen wht to press to enter setup.

check that that date and time is correct, as that causes all sorts of problems,
more then your system time.

Carole

Thanks Mac, will try this over the weekend. 

Carole

Carole

Hi Mac, tried rebooting and pressing F2 but it just took me into normal PC screen.  I held my finger on F2.
Tried again and this time it kept making a bleeping noise when I kept my finger on F2 and then once again took me into the normal PC screen.

Is there anything else I can try?
the date and time are OK on the PC clock.

Carole

The Thing

Try DEL. A lot of bios' use that as an entry key.

Mac

normally when it boots, the screen will tell you what key to press to enter setup/bios.

Mac

Carole

QuoteTry DEL. A lot of bios' use that as an entry key.
NO that didn't work.
On start up is says F10 = Rom based set up.
Tried pressing F10 and it still won't work.

I have tried holding the key down from the time I press the start button until I get a screen which is always the normal PC screen, and have also tried waiting until the F10 = ROM based set up screen comes on before pressing and holding it.

This is not a major problem since I only want to use this on occasions and not vital, just might be handy sometimes.  However I do like to get to the bottom of things.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Why don't you just change the time normally?

Mac

when you turn it on,
dont press and hold it as this will probably show up as a keyboard error,

just keep tapping it when you turn it on.

:idea:

I take it this keyboard is the main keyboard on the pc and not a wireless one.
if it is wireless it wont work as the wireless part is not initialised during the
initial boot up.

Mac.