• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Canon CCD - does it have to have filter/glass????

Started by The Thing, Oct 17, 2011, 21:20:21

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Can someone tell me if I have to have the filter/piece of glass in place to use my 350d. I have it in pieces to clean the annoying mark left by frost at the infamous campsite best forgotten. The front of the CCD is now spotless but I can't seem to get the glass clean, it's al smeary. I am using Visible Dust sensor cleaning swabs and fluid.

TIA

Duncan

Carole

Andy at Astronomiser told me you don't need it for Astro-imaging but you'd have problems with focus I think it was for photography with a normal lens. 

Carole

The Thing

Thanks Carole, that's what I thought. However I found some Otpi-clear polymer in my camera bag and that really does leave optics perfectly clean. You paint it on and when cured, peel it off.

The Thing

Camera all back together and working. A quick flat inspected on the camera shows only a small dust bunny top right, probably fixable with a quick sensor clean.

I had a nasty moment when I had a little silver screw left over -the only silver screws hold the CCD in. However it was one I lost last time that had got lodged somewhere and fell out this time! Result. I wasn't looking forward to dismantling the thing again.