• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The main star forming region of NGC7000

Started by RobertM, Oct 09, 2011, 19:00:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

I've now reprocessed this with a bit more attention and got rid of those stellar haloes.

Capture details:
Optics: Skywatcher MN190
Focal length: 1000mm
Focal Ratio: f/5.3
Camera: FLI ML8300
Filter: Baader Ha
Scale: 1.1 arcsec/pixel
Subs: 18 x 1200s (6 hours total)
Date: 28-29/09/2011
Processed in Pixinsight 1.7

A link to the fill size (just a little cropped) : http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6156/6226717043_bbc4bfe969_o.jpg

TFL
Robert

Carole

Some fantastic smooth detail there Robert.  I love the dark debulosity spilling over the wall, it shows up so clearly.
Carole

JohnP

Looks much better Robert - I think you can push the contrast even more though... Great image - John

mickw

That's excellent Robert with so much detail.

Just noticed - 20 minute subs  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

That's much better Robert - no haloes and looking more vivid.

The detail in that image is incredible.  It really is a beautifully smooth and detailed image.

Mark

RobertM

Thanks for the positive comments, personally I reckon this is probably my best image to date.  It's so much easier when there's virtually no noise or gradients.

John, I know what you mean though I'm loath to do it any more than it is already in case I spoil what's there.

Robert

Carole

Especially good from Orpington.
Did you not use the hyperstar?

Carole

Mike

Wow! Excellent Robert. I agree, probably your best to date.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Quote from: Carole on Oct 10, 2011, 12:50:01
Especially good from Orpington.
Did you not use the hyperstar?

Carole

No, it was the Skywatcher 190 Maksutov Newtonian and mono CCD camera.  The conditions earlier on that week were exceptional for Orpington, I could even see one or two other stars in Cygnus than just those of the swans neck,body and wings.

Fay

Nice reprocess Robert, nice & smooth.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

I've had a reprocess and brought out some more contrast but I think the highlights are a bit blown, anyway let me know what you think.

Link to full size: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/6241416415_91007a4194_o.jpg

Robert

MarkS

The improvement in contrast makes a significant difference.  The slightly blown highlights are not destructive to my mind - they make the image that much more vivid.

It really is a stunning image.

Mark

JohnP

Robert that is much better it has depth to it now whereas previously it looked a bit flat due to lack of contrast.

Nice one. John.

Mac

Excellent,

I've followed a Photoshop Guru for a few years now and what he dosent know about photoshop isnt worth knowing,
I've recently signed up so that i can follow all of his tutorials 70 in all on line, which covers using photoshop as a workflow.
everything he does is non destructive.

www.guygowan.com

So i just thought how would it work with astronomical images, so I had a go at reprocessing your image from the original jpg.

and this is what i managed to get in about 45 seconds!!.
with about 3 clicks of the workflow.

If you want to know how its done i'll let you know.
Im going to quickly try it on on of the M42 and see how that fairs.

Mac.

mickw

Excellent reprocess Robert, much better.

Mac, your version does seem to bring out some fainter detail but at the cost of the contrast in the brighter areas
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional