• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Asteroid 1036 Ganymed 7 Oct 2011 23:14-23:53

Started by The Thing, Oct 08, 2011, 15:32:07

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Update -- Now it should repeat forever! --

I thought I would give this a go as it was in a good spot and Cartes de Ciel said it would be mag 8.6.

Canon 350Da, Baaded Alan Gee II Telecompressor, CLS-CCD clip filter... so not the ideal rig. And I should have collimated first, but I was only testing out my DEC axis rebuild (after the High Halden gear screech fest last Saturday night). No processing. Animated in CS4. However I can't get it to animate the frame in the right order so the asteroid ismoving backwards in this clip!

This is a 640x480 central crop as the rest was just space :lol:. 2.4Mb.
30x30s @800ISO

Mike

Excellent Duncan. I really like to see asteroid animations.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Nice one - it's refreshing to see these and something we neglect in our imaging schedules.

Robert

JohnP

So why can't I see the animation... all I get is what looks a star field?

JohnP

OK - just tried in IE & it works (although doesn't loop) for some reason in firefox all I get displayed is last frame of animation....

Fay

That is really good Duncan, what a change

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Rocket Pooch

Works with my Firefox, good image Duncan.

JohnP

Yep - seems to be working with mine now after a restart... I think I had a few gremlins inside my laptop yesterday - kinda doing weird things...

Welcome back Chris by the way....

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

doug

Great stuff, Duncan.  That is brilliant.  Are you going to put it as an avatar.........

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

MarkS

The Thing

Thanks for all the positive comments folks, much appreciated. Now we just have to wait for Mark to do one with some surface detail...  :alien:

Quote from: doug on Oct 10, 2011, 08:45:19
Are you going to put it as an avatar.........
Doug.
But then I would would have to change my 'handle' to 'Moving Blob' raher than 'The Thing'. Mind you my Fiona would think that 'Moving Blob' is even more appropriate a moniker ;).