• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sunspots 14 Sep 2011

Started by PhilB, Sep 14, 2011, 18:37:24

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilB

Todays sunspot groupings, using a Baader Continuum filter in conjunction with Baader ND 5.0 AstroSolar Safety Film filter.

Details;

Stallarvue AT1010 80mm 'scope, stopped down to 60mm. Image filtered with Baader ND 5.0 AstroSolar Saftey Film and a Baader Continuum Filter. Camera was ImagingSource DFK, Gain 300 and 1/19sec exposure. !35 frames were stacked in Registax 6 and final processed in CS2
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Wow, lots of spots, lets hope it's "hotting up" for the Iceland trip in February.

Your getting good at this Phil.

Carole

PhilB

Thanks, Carole. It's first light for the Baader Continuum Filter and I think it really needs to be used with the ND 3.8 Safety Film rather than the ND 5.0 that is currently in the holder. Also, the image has gone a little "rusty" round the edges but I think the contrast is improved.

A few more spots and the Iceland trip should be a cracker
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

nice image,

what does the Continuum filter do to the image?
only they are now adding them to the solar film when you buy it,

Mac.

MarkS

That's looking very good Phil.  Your best yet. 

I need to get some solar filem and give it a try myself.

Mark

PhilB

Thanks guys. I'm starting to understand the subject better and am adapting my kit accordingly.

what does the Continuum filter do to the image?
only they are now adding them to the solar film when you buy it,

The filter has a 10nm passband at 540nm which is basically green light. It's designed to boost contrast and reduce atmospheric turbulence. It certainly seems to have sharpened up the image.