• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

My manic solar system 24 hours!!!!

Started by Carole, Sep 11, 2011, 23:15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilB

The images look much improved, Carole. When are you going after the other planets to complete the set?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Funny you should say that Phil, but I have just made the decision to try to do just that, though I think Neptune is going to be a bit of a challenge.  

I've made a Mosaic with what I have done so far (except Earth of course) with the aim to try to fill in the missing ones:

Obviously not to scale:

Carole

Collimation on ETX125 checked last night (Wednesday) and all is well.

Carole

Mac

QuoteCollimation on ETX125 checked last night (Wednesday) and all is well.

I diddnt think the ETX 125 could be collimated, as they are Maksutov designs.

http://www.weasner.com/etx/warnings/collimation-warning.html

Mac.

Carole

Neither did I Mac which was why I never bothered to check it.  But someone suggested that the collimation might be OUT.  I actually had a look on line and there is some-one who has done it, but you have to open up the plastic casing at the back and then collimate it like a Newtonian, but apparently the screws that you need to turn are sealed and you need to break the seal.

Anyway academic now as it's OK.

Carole

Carole

Someone has told me about a plugin called Focus magic.  I downloaded it and this is the result on the Tycho image.  It's sharpened up the focus a bit. 

Tony G

Quote from: Mac on Sep 15, 2011, 12:27:40
I didn't think the ETX 125 could be collimated, as they are Maksutov designs.

Mac.

Mac,

Robert had to collimate my Skywatcher 150 Pro which is a Mak-Cass, a couple of years ago...........................................But me and Chris had stripped it down until it looked like pile of junk, and this was all due to a spider entering the scope through the open eyepiece. :oops:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

It's those Spiders again.

Yes open eye pieces are a danger.  I always try to cover things methodically, but I recently went outside and found I had left my refractor open ended for a few days, I had a fit when I saw it.  Luckily it seems OK.

Carole

PhilB

I found a web or two in my AT1010 when I got it - just remove the focuser and shove in a vacuum cleaner, works a treat :cheesy:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Someone has told me about a plugin called Focus magic.  I downloaded it and this is the result on the Tycho image.  It's sharpened up the focus a bit. 

I'm impressed with the results that Focus Magic gives - especially for such a straightforward user interface.  However you should bear in mind that the blurred image you have is more likely to have resulted from atmospheric turbulence (which cases a Gaussian blur) rather than defocusing (which cases a defocus blur).   These two types of blur are different and my understanding is that Focus Magic is aimed at defocusing blurs and motion blurs rather than Gaussian blurs.

Mark

Carole

I actually thought it was a little out of focus.  I had done a Bahtinov focus, but some-one told me the Moon is a slightly different focus to this, are they right?

Is there any way of unblurring a Gaussian blur?

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
I actually thought it was a little out of focus.  I had done a Bahtinov focus, but some-one told me the Moon is a slightly different focus to this, are they right?

Is there any way of unblurring a Gaussian blur?

If your Bahtinov mask has corrrectly focused on a star then the moon will also be exactly in focus.  I've no idea what this person had in mind when they told you that the Moon has a different focus.

Registax wavelets are good for unblurring Gaussian blurs.

Mark

mickw

I would have thought that focus on the moon would be more critical than on a star - a star being just a dot and there being recognisable features on the moon.
Being slightly out of focus on a star would show up more on the moon.

As Mark says - in focus is in focus, just needs to be precise.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Yes I thought that was a little strange about the Moon having a different focus that's why I thought I'd double check it.

Carole

Rick

Quote from: MarkS on Sep 17, 2011, 13:33:34I've no idea what this person had in mind when they told you that the Moon has a different focus.

Either the person concerned has access to optics with a stupidly large f-ratio and therefore an incredibly narrow depth of field, or, perhaps, they actually live on the Moon. I suspect the latter is more likely...  :alien: