• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hi complete noob here

Started by RichardP, Sep 06, 2011, 21:34:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardP

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

My 14yr old daughter has a keen interest in stars/planets/nebulas ect and I need a new hobby and quite interested in whats up in the sky. We have no equipment yet but hope to get a half decent scope to begin with hopefully in the near future with some advice. Quite interested in astrophotography and keen to learn. We would both love to come along to a open evening to see how it's done if possible.

Anyways hope to meet up soon.

Thanks for reading.

Richard

Carole

Hi Richard and welcome. 

If you're interested in Astrophotography, make sure you get some advice before purchasing a telescope and mount. 

It may be a bit soon for you but we have imaging sessions several times a year at one of the member's homes, the next one is at my house on 8th October.  If it's not possible to image because of the weather we normally talk about some aspect of imaging instead.

The next meeting is on 22nd September but I won't be at that one, so if you want to come to the imaging session, please send me a message through this site.

Carole

Rick

Hi, Thanks for introducing yourself. Welcome to the OAS forum. Hope to see you at one of our meetings soon. :)

RichardP

Hi Carole,

Have been reading and trying to take in as much info as possible with regards to astrophotography and still havnt a clue to be honest, lol pretty overwhelming all the bits of kit and technical jargon. Would def like to come along to a meeting and maybe have a look at some scopes and get a feel for what's achievable for a beginner on a tight budget.

Is there a observing meeting on Tuesday 13th September and can we (me and my daughter) pop along to this or is it a members only event??

Thanks
Richard

Mac

Greetings,

Have a read of this post, it will give you some inside information,
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=6334.0

I would seriously look at getting a pair of binoculars as a beginners tool, and once you have
been captured by the bug, then look at getting a telescope, that way you can give yourself
time to research the telescope you want as well as having a chat with us.

between us i think we should be able to get you on the right track.

Mac.

mickw

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.

Yes there is an observing evening on the 13th and you are welcome to come along.

We meet in the Change of Horses in Farnborough Village at around 8:15 (during the "summer" months) and if, by some miracle, the skies are clear and it's not raining we move on up to the field.

So far this year we have only managed to get to the field twice due to cloud, rain or snow so the evening just turns into a social event and we sit around chatting.

Anyway, look forward to meeting you
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

Hi, Richard and welcome.

Please do come along to one of our sessions where you'll find friendly advice is always available.

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein