• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2011 shortlist

Started by Carole, Aug 13, 2011, 10:24:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I went to see the exhibition this afternoon, and was expecting to see all the short-listed images that did not ultimately win.  Was disappointed that all that was displayed is what you can see on the winners website, so what's the point in going??? 

There is an interactive screen where you can select previous winners, but apart from their Flicker name which is often nothing to do with their real name, there was no other detail apart from where it was imaged in the world.

The winners were attractively displayed though on a screen which gives much better definition than a printed photo would. 

Yes I agree about Damian's Jupiter, absolutely stunning. 

I think there should be a UK AstroImaging competition, as we really struggle against the elements in the UK with long patches of inability to do any imaging at all, and comparing what we can get to other countries with fabulous regular dark skies is perhaps a little unfair on the UK Imager.

Carole

mickw

That does sound a disappointing exhibition.

Although I agree with Carole about the ordeals that UK imagers suffer, I don't think that a UK only competition would be very well supported.
I think I would rather be rated 10th in the world than top in England
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

changing my mind a bit here. Have had a flick through the winners & most of them are very good
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

QuoteI don't think that a UK only competition would be very well supported.
Do you not?  I would have thought it would be popular.

Carole

Tony G

Why isn't there any trees, or someone holding their arms out pretending to to hold Jupiter. I think just plain images of a planet, and a couple of its moons is not very interesting. :roll:

Tony G

PS.......................I was not being serious. ;)
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson