• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bubble Nebula from Riberac

Started by MarkS, Sep 03, 2011, 20:52:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Arrived home very early this morning from 2 weeks in the Dordogne spent mainly relaxing round the pool.  It was a nice sunny day in Kent so we spent the day recuperating from the journey by sitting round the pool!

Imaging wasn't so good this year in Riberac - there were only 3 nights I was able to take advantage of.  My hand has now recovered sufficiently from surgery to allow me to begin imaging again.  Anyway, here's a very quick process of the image I took on Tues 30th August.

37 x 5min at ISO 800 using H-alpha modified Canon EOS 350D on Tak Epsilon 180ED at F2.8 and using CLS filter.  This was only done a a quick experiment but I think it shows this to be a promising area of sky.

Here is a small, cropped version:

A larger version (2/3 scaled) is here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2011/bubble30082011.jpg

Unfortunately the image is let down by issues arising from collimation or wonky T-ring (the latter came loose and I haven't done a proper fix since). Distortion is obvious in the top right and bottom left

Mark

RobertM

That's a really lovely image Mark and the star colours are great as usual.  At this scale and even in the 2/3rds size there are a lot of people that would be well happy with that level of distortion.

Robert

PhilB

That's a great image, Mark. I'd be quite happy to put up with this amount of distortion!
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

A really lovely image Mark, beautiful stars colours.  The distortion is minor.

Carole

mickw

Very nice image Mark with fantastic detail.

Are the cyan stars a product of the CLS filter ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

By the way, nice to see you have recovered sufficiently to get out imaging again.

Carole

The Thing

Hubble bubble, very nice Mark. Flobalob - makes my scope look like an optical flowerpot :!

Mac

As always a fantastic image,

Give's us all something to aim for

Mac.

JohnP

That is a 'FLUBBERLY' Bubble... absolutely superb - FOV & colours are fantastic - that's a great image Mark - Well done - John.

MarkS

Quote from: mickw

Yes - the CLS filter does have this effect but it is not objectionable.

mickw

Quote from: MarkS on Sep 04, 2011, 21:08:17
Quote from: mickw

Yes - the CLS filter does have this effect but it is not objectionable.

I agree, it's just a shame it introduces a false colour.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Run out of original positive things to say about your images, Mark!  As ever the quality that we now expect every time!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

That's a ripper mate! I wonder if I can see it down at 35 south?

Mac