• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging Session - Friday 19th August

Started by Mike, Aug 15, 2011, 11:50:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

The next Imaging Session is this Friday at my house starting at 8pm.

For those of you that have not been before, this is an informal social night at my house which, if it is clear, turns into an Imaging Session in the garden. If that happens we will go outside and my kit will already be set up. Those that have brought their own kit will have a chance to set it up too. Then we will do some astrophotography and anyone interested can watch and learn.

If it's cloudy we stay indoors, drink tea, wine & beer, eat biscuits and have a chat. However, as of today (Monday) the weather forecast is looking promising with partly cloudy forecast. This will at least enable us to demonstrate the kit if not do any meaningful imaging.

Any member is welcome to come along. If you haven't been before but would like to then send me a private message and I will give you the address.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Gaps in clouds are good for a bit of planetary imaging! May bring my kit if the forecast stays promising.

Duncan

Mike

That's a good idea. I'll dust off my old Philips SPC900 too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

sorry Mike, I have visitors the weekend, so will not be able to attend
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

The forecast is getting better. Right now it is saying Friday night will be clear :)

Mike

Forecast is still saying clear :)

Should be a good session. See you later if you're coming.

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Got those, thanks Tony.

There is also a mag -1.0 Iridium Flare at 22:29:51

:)

Rick

Quote from: Tony G on Aug 19, 2011, 15:39:56A couple of nice ISS passes tonight as well.

Though for some reason it seems to be giving the times in UTC+2  :roll:

Kylee

Hi Mike

I'm still hoping to get to one of your evenings and tonight does look promising. I'm hoping to see a webcam in use...i've purchased one and as yet have not used it as I don't know where to start really so observing one in use would be good.
I have your address from a previous message so hopefully I will make it later. Do you like people to fetch anything with regards to drinks etc?

Cheers

Kylee. 

The Thing

The weather is looking very promising - putting my kit in the car!

Tony G

Rick, (or anyone)

So what would this be in our time, so to speak.

Date            Mag     Starts             Max. altitude               Ends
                       Time           Alt.   Az.     Time   Alt.   Az.     Time   Alt.   Az.

19 Aug   -3.5   23:07:02   10   W    23:10:09   84   N    23:11:31   31   E

This always confuses me, and makes my head hurt. :boom:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Tony G

OK, I have just watch the ISS fly over, which was very clear, so basically just take an hour off the times stated. :)

My head is OK now. :angel:

Tony G

Rick

Quote from: Tony G on Aug 19, 2011, 19:45:15This always confuses me, and makes my head hurt.
Mine too, especially when a site tries to guess what my timezone should be, and gets it wrong...

They should really give all times in UTC, always...  :radiation:

Mike

Good session last night. 12 people turned up and it was clear till around midnight when the clouds started to roll in.

We saw the ISS twice and an Iridium flare also.