• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Western Veil

Started by mickw, Jul 25, 2011, 11:25:49

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Mainly a test of a WO Flattener II x0.8
In this image and the larger version, the stars don't look too shabby but in the original tif the stars are egg shaped pointing towards the centre which I assume means that the flattener is not suitable for the Burgess (it wasn't designed to be) - The results are better than without the flattener but not really perfect.
Am I right in my assumption or is this common ?
Any suggestions ?
Does it matter if the jpegs look OK ?

Larger here : http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10049/Autosave16-v1s.jpg
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Mick - dont think you have right link (not the large image)....

mickw

JohnP

That actually doesn't look too bad on full size. Like you say some minor elongation around the edges but pretty good. I think with flatteners/ reducers the spacing is critical so it may be you could improve it more if you were prepared to experiment with spacing..

Nice image also - John

Fay

Very good Mick, you did well, you really seem sorted now, except for the normal things that always go wrong for all of us every session

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Mick,

That doesn't look bad at all.  The stars, even in the centre, look a bit oval shaped to me and the ones in the corners are actually not much worse.

Mark

mickw

John, surprisingly jpegs help out, the eggs are more pronounced in the tiffs.

Mark, I saw the oval stars in the middle and assumed guiding but when I saw the ones in the corners roughly angled to the centre I figured it could be down to the flattener.
Perhaps some success at DSC will prove one way or the other.

Tony G

Very nice widefield Mick. ;)
Seems like you are getting things right at last.
Quote from: Fay on Jul 25, 2011, 16:55:43
except for the normal things that always go wrong for all of us every session

Like the weather, the power, the equipment, etc.

Note to self.................must start at least observing again, if not imaging. :!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

QuoteNote to self.................must start at least observing again, if not imaging

When you find a way of seeing through the clouds, let me know ;)
Its annoying that of the 52 days a year i get off, 53 of them are always cloudy :!

Mac

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
When you find a way of seeing through the clouds, let me know ;)

Radio-astronomy!
I'm sure it must have been our cloudy weather that made us pioneers in radio-astronomy.

The Thing

So does that mean we may see High Halden Bank some time in the future? Plenty of room for an array, you could tell the neighbours it's a very long washing line or five :)

Mac