• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Prog Settings

Started by JohnP, Jul 02, 2011, 21:48:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

OK - I am running Win7 Ultimate vers on my laptop. As I have started working quite a bit for a mate of mine they decided to enable my laptop for connection to their server & set me up an email account (exchange not PoP3).

Anyway little did I know that the IT guy would create a new user with new logoin etc. on my laptop to do this. I thought he would just modify my existing uiser account. Anyway to cut a long story short I can no longer log in using my old user details so my desktop etc. is totally different. I have managed to set up most things the way I like it but whenever I run a prog such as aip4win or Skymap Pro it runs as though newly installed so wants me to put in serial numbers etc. which isn't a major problem. The biggest headache is that ALL my custom settings etc. have defaulted back to standard settings.

Does anyone know how to transfer these...

God I am never going to give my laptop to an IT guy again...

John.

Rocket Pooch

Hi John,

He has probably set you up with a Domain login, you should still have an option for you local machine, can you show me the login screen now?

Chris

JohnP

Chris - Yes you are correct he has setup a Domain Name Logon & there is still the option to log onto local machine - If I select this is says follwoing:

To logo onto your computer (not a domain) type INSPIRON-JP\local user name

I presume by local user name it means the name of the old logon account I had (before changes were made) & my old log on password. I have tried about 1,000 times to logon on using my old credentials & it just wont have it so no way to get back to old desktop & copy 'old' prog settings...

Any ideas,  John

Rocket Pooch

Hi John,

If the IT guy has done it right when you log into your machine locally all your stuff will be there, it holds it in a local profile per user per machine.  Try the local login and your asministrator account and password.  If this does not work then call the IT guy and say "I want local administration rights to my machine back please" this normally works ha can login as a Domain Administrator and re-set any password on your PC local account or otherwise. 

Grabbing hold of them and calling them idiots does not, I tried this as my last contract and the 35 year old guy cried?  Oh and another thing, some of these bright people tend to delete local profiles :-)

Anyway, have fun.

Chris

JohnP

Cheers Chris - Appreciate your help - John