• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Gamma Cygni Rother Valley DSC 2 July 2011

Started by The Thing, Jul 06, 2011, 09:03:11

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

HEQ5 Pro, EQMOD, CdC, LX90 8" UHTC Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor at correct spacing, Canon 350Da, Astronomik CLS-CCD clip filter, Lakeside ASCOM Focuser, Bahtinov Mask, Dunc's Collimation Mask, Meade 8x50 FinderGuidescope & QHY5, PHD Guiding, APT Astro Photography Tool.

Processed in DSS and tweaked in PS. 10x600s Lights, 10 darks, master bias and master flat from a previous image.

Full frame resampled to 1024 X 665  with sharpening. Full Size here (6Mb).

Fay

10x600 eh? You are well and truly on your way Duncan, great!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Hi Dunc,

I reckon you forgot a few things on your equipment list there  ;)

As Fay said image looking very nice - still looks like you have a few issues with odd shaped stars on the full size but focus, processing looks spot on.

Very good,  John.

Fay

Yes, I thought there was a lot of equipment!!!!!

The Thing

There is always a lot of equipment! Most of you just don't list all of it. That's why we spend the first few hours at a DSC drinking setting up.

Carole

Some very nice data there Duncan.
Hope you don't mind a did a few tweaks to your Jpeg.
I got rid of most of the gradient, and lifted the colour of the nebulosity slightly
A very nice image

Carole

JohnP

QuoteI got rid of the gradient, reduced the sky background and lifted the colour of the nebulosity
... and added some noise  :lol:

Carole

You can't add noise, only reveal it.  I think you picked up my post between revising the image John as I didn't like it myself when I had posted it the first time.   

Carole

JohnP

QuoteYou can't add noise

I think you'll find you can - Photoshop has a filter especially for doing this  :lol: I always add noise to my images I dont like them if they are too smooth.... I prefer to add Gaussian noise but ocassionally use the uniform noise filter as well depending on what I am imaging... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your reprocess does look a bit better now compared to the original - it's always tough reprocessing when you only have a jpeg to work from.

John.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Thanks Mick. I like my images pretty much as they come. I would like to know how to remove a gradient though, must look it up on the web.

JohnP

QuotePrefer Duncan's original

moi aussi !

Fay

RobertM

You're flying now Duncan  8)

There are bits I like about both you've posted.  Lots more nebulosity in the second but the stars have suffered, the artifact has brightened and there's more noise.

Regarding gradient removal - if you have maximdl then 'auto remove gradient' works a treat also the Gradient Xterminator PS plugin works wonders.

Robert

MarkS

Very nice Duncan!!

You've done a good job of processing - but there is still a gradient to be removed.
The stars look round - so your guiding was fine.
Towards the corners they are dagger shaped - it's about the best you will get with the Alan Gee.  But it looks pretty symmetrical so I think you've got the collimation and the seating of the Alan Gee just about right.

By the way - there's a very interesting artifact below the bright star.

Well done - they'll be no stopping you now.

Mark