• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Witch's Broom from Rother Valley 2-7-11

Started by Carole, Jul 04, 2011, 19:35:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Taking this from a dark site has certainly made a difference to the noise and bears closer scrutiny than the one done from Bromley:

18 x 5mins 800 ISO Modified Canon 450D - no filter
Skywatcher ED120 guided on NEQ6 with QHY5 and PHD
Processed in DSS and PS CS3

Link to larger version:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Witches_Broom_2-7-11_Rother_Valley_18_x_5mins_6_-_8_degrees_CROP.jpg

Carole

The Thing

Carole

Thanks Duncan.
Makes a great difference a dark sky, I can see I am only going to be able to do certain objects from home and anything else will just be practice for the "real thing".

Carole

Fay

That is a nice Witches Broom Carole...........
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay, I can see I am going to have to go to lots of DSC now I can see the difference a dark sky makes.

carole

Tony G

Quote from: Carole on Jul 04, 2011, 22:04:56
I can see I am going to have to go to lots of DSC now I can see the difference a dark sky makes.

Or do what Mark or Chris have done and moved to a lovely dark spot in the middle of nowhere. ;)

Tony G

PS.....................Great image Carole.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Quotedo what Mark or Chris have done and moved to a lovely dark spot in the middle of nowhere.
Some hopes. 
My husband is very easy going, but that is one thing he won't do, he's too involved with various activities in the Bromley/West Wickham area to move anywhere else.  It's bad enough trying to get him to take a holiday. 

Carole

MarkS

Very nice Carole.

You've captured some good quality data and you've processed it very well - retaining the star colours and preventing bloat.

Well done!

Mark

Carole

mickw

Much better than the Bromley version, very nice
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Thank you Mick.  Finally starting to feel things are falling into place.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Makes a great difference a dark sky, I can see I am only going to be able to do certain objects from home and anything else will just be practice for the "real thing".

The other alternative is the "urban astronomy" route of taking "Hubble Palette" false colour narrowband images.  No-one in the society is regularly doing this but the results can be truly stunning.  It is expensive to get into because you really need an astro-CCD plus the filters.  But it could be something to consider for the future.

Mark

RobertM

That's a very nice broom you have there Carole there's lots to like about it,  I hope you'll add more exposures to make it a great one.

Robert

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteI hope you'll add more exposures to make it a great one.
yes my long term plan is to add data to all my images, especially the ones done at a dark site. 

QuoteThe other alternative is the "urban astronomy" route of taking "Hubble Palette" false colour narrowband images.
To be honest Mark, I don't really like the false colour of Hubble Palette apart from the expense, so I don't think I'll be going down that route. 

Just gonna have to get to dark sites whenever possible and do what I can from home.

Carole