• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another NGC6888

Started by mickw, Jul 04, 2011, 16:57:00

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

This'll do for a start - focus looks a bit squiffy  :(
Got this Sunday night Rother Valley
7x5min @ 800asa D,F+B
Burgess 91, modded Canon 400, CLS
NOW BIGGER

Really big
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10049/ngc6888-v1s.jpg
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Well Mick, that is not looking shabby!

Can you get it bigger?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

That's very good Mick, glad you managed to sort out your problems.

carole

The Thing

Looks good to me Mick. I think you have captured as remarkable amount of nebulosity despite your Canon being unmodded. Great stuff. Now you just need to make sure everything is reliable.

BTW I usually post on here at 1024x768ish. Could we have a link to a larger version?

mickw

Original post amended with link to bigger image (complete with bigger warts  :-?)

Camera is modded and also still misbehaving

I'll be testing everything during the week and hopefully get things working right

PhilB

It looks like a night on your own was what you needed. Very nice image
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

JohnP

Mick - looks superb to me - certainly your best image yet - really impressed that you have captured so much of the background stuff - well done with all your perserverence especially considering all those software issues you keep having.

Great,  John

MarkS

Very nice Mick - especially the big one.  You've also captured a lot of faint stuff there in the background.

Overall I think the image looks a bit too red but that's just a minor criticism.

Your focus and collimation looks fine to me - only the stars toward the corners look elongated.  Are you using a flattener?

Well done for overcoming all the technical difficulties to achieve this.

Mark

mickw

Thanks all, despite all my moaning I am quite pleased with this but know I can do better.

I agree with the red and tried to reduce it but started losing a bit of the background.  I'll reprocess again some time and press some different buttons in PS  ;)

Haven't got a flattener and forgot to take up John's offer (different thread) - On my list of things to get though  :)

JohnP

still available when you want to try - I dont use it so just give me a shout if & when the urge takes you.....

RobertM

Looking very good Mick though you definitely need a flattener.  I'd consider taking up John's kind offer to get rid of that 'Warp' effect.

Robert

mickw

Reprocessed without the gentle touch to bring out the warts - got a bit greedy for nebulosity  :oops:

Fay

MIck, that is even better. You have done a nice reprocess, lot more detail!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Impressive picture Mick. I like it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Thanks for that, really quite pleased with the outcome.

JohnP

Yep agree Mick reprocess looks excellent - you must be well chuffed with that - nice one - John

mickw

Thanks John and yes very pleased  8)

Carole

Re-process has disappeared  :!
Hope it's coming back.

Carole

mickw

DOH
Was tidying up the Gallery and forgot to save the new location of the file  :oops: