• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 Andromeda galaxy 2-7-11 Rother Valley

Started by Carole, Jul 04, 2011, 00:22:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is a preliminary process (not happy with the core or even the smaller galaxy) so will have another go at this.  Also as you can see the orientation could have been better.  (N.B. have rotated 90 degrees and cropped the top and bottom)
Excuses are:
Had the wrong scope on as I had originally planned to do M81/M82, but the sky was too bright for this and so ended up doing the Witch's Broom, then later saw Andromeda rising and couldn't resist.  Could have swivelled the camera but not experienced in doing this yet and flats were already done - and it was about 1.30am and it was a bonus image anyway....

12 x 5mins and 12 x 30sec 800 ISO (perhaps I should have reduced the ISO on the 30 sec ones)
Modified Canon 450D no filters
ED120, guided with PHD and QHY5 on NEQ6
DSS and PS CS3

Needs at least another hour on this, but will re-do it with the correct scope on next time, might be able to merge some of the data.  

MarkS

That's really not a bad attempt.  The dust lanes are showing up well.  The core of the Andromeda galaxy is very difficult to get right because it is so much brighter than the main body of the galaxy.

As for total integration time, even 10 hours is not enough to do the Andromeda galaxy really well.

My main criticism is that the image lacks colour - I'm not sure why that should be.

You've done a great experiment here - now it's worth returning to it and doing it properly! 

Mark

PhilB

There's some nice detail here. Would make a nice project if you're up for it. After all, this target will become more accessible over the coming months.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

QuoteMy main criticism is that the image lacks colour - I'm not sure why that should be.
It did have some colour Mark, but it was a horrible yellowy brown and no brightness, it's my fault for trying to brighten it up, I'll look into this when I do a re-process.  Also the core was very red (probably due to the Mod and had a job to tone that down as well. 

Thanks Phil.

Carole

Mike

Looks like a good start. Should be good once you get more data.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Yes, I agree a good start but needs a lot more data.

Carole

Thanks Mike and Robert.  Yes, this was really tacked on to the end of the evening, just to see how it would come out as it's about 9 months since I did it last.

Carole

The Thing

Very nice Carole. Much better that any attempt I have made at this target.

Presumably you have cropped this - it's not the standard proportions.

Carole

QuotePresumably you have cropped this - it's not the standard proportions.

Thanks Duncan, yes,  see my quote from the first post.

Quote(N.B. have rotated 90 degrees and cropped the top and bottom)

It was sideways on in the FOV (vertically) and would have looked a bit stupid if I had posted the full frame. 

Carole

mickw

Certainly got some nice detail in there

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Carole

Apparently I have captured a Nova in this image.  This has been marked for me by a kind soul on another forum.
As it's so tiny, I'm not going to get too excited about it, but just thought I'd report back.  

Mac

Just a thought as you have done the mod, why dont you do a custom white balance using the flash and a white sheet of paper,  :oops:
that should get rid of the colour cast produced,

Then it might be easier to process the images at a later date.

Mac.

mickw

Is that it ?
Bit small innit ?

S/N in 51, Nova in 31 will you still talk to us mere mortals  ;)

Mac

I think Caroles been taking lesons from Mr Luck himself. ;)

You wait, next week there will be a new comet, called Carole 1-2011 announced and a supernova discovery in the Milky way,
all in the same image.

:cheesy:

Mac.

mickw

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Don't encourage her  :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Carole

Quoteshite sheet
Mac, I don't fancy the idea of using toilet paper for this job  :cheesy:

Quotethat should get rid of the colour cast produced,
Seriously though, this image needs a re-process to get the correct colour, I know what I did wrong but I've been away for a few days, am halfway through transferring files, re-installing programmes and E mail address from one PC to another, plus looking after my mum for a couple of days before I go on holiday for two weeks, so no real chance to do it before I get back.

QuoteI think Caroles been taking lessons from Mr Luck himself.
You wait, next week there will be a new comet, called Carole 1-2011 announced and a supernova discovery in the Milky way, all in the same image.

I've got a long way to go to catch up with Mark's lucky camera. :cheesy:

Carole

Mac

QuoteQuote
shite sheet
Mac, I don't fancy the idea of using toilet paper for this job 

ahemm  :oops: amended, that the problem of s and w being next to each other.

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

QuoteBloody towwer.  :roll:

I cant stop laughing...

Excellent.

Mac