• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Evening All

Started by Les, Jun 24, 2011, 19:12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

Last night was my first OAS night and really enjoyed it.

I'm Les, living on the Bromley/Catford border and am OAS's newest member.  8) So impressed with the images I saw last night, that have decided to take the (t)rusty EOS3000 out of mothballs and actually use it  :cheesy: The 1-4 July DSC is a bit too soon for me unfortunately, but would like to attend High Elms on 12 July and the end of July DSC too. However, can only do so if transport can be arranged (please note: my whopping 10inch instrument will be coming too lol).

I will welcome emails from any member and can anyone wanting my mobile number please submit all queries on the back of a £20 note.  :D

Looking forward to next month.

Les

Carole

Welcome Les, Glad you enjoyed your first OAS Meeting. 

I can see you'll be joining the imagers soon.  Don;t foget to come along to the imaging sessions and look forward to seeing you at future meetings and DSC.

Carole

mickw

Welcome to the money pit which is astronomy, nice ploy though going cheap with £20 notes  :roll:
We try to get a DSC each month, sometimes the weather gods cooperate, usually they don't  :!
Anyway, welcome to OAS.

A risky question I know, but a 10" what

Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Les

Currently have a 10inch Meade Lightbridge with a single 26mm eyepiece. Will be getting an additional eyepiece (probably a Meade 5000 9mm) sometime next week. My SLR isn't digital, but have half a mind to upgrade. Is it worth it, or is it best to stick with the old celluloid SLR?

mickw

The lightbridge is very good visually and you will certainly be able to observe and capture good images of the moon with a film camera.
Any fainter subjects usually require long and/or multiple exposures, which will throw a spanner in the works - it's also likely you will need to process the film yourself (Boots will be clueless).
There are a couple of members who have very successfully used a film camera and have managed long exposures by manually guiding the scope in synch with the subject, Tony Buick and Paul Whitmarsh spring to mind (there may be others), try and have a chat at the next meeting
Give it a go, you've got nothing to lose.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Les

Thanks for that. If Tony and/or Paul are reading - or anyone else in the know - then dont hesitate to get in touch. Need all the advice I can get lol

Carole

I don't think Tony very often comes on the forum, but Paul does from time to time.  I think the development might be problematic as Mick has said, plus we normally process our images (to draw out the detail) on computers which I am not sure can be done in the same way with film, but Paul should point you in the right direction. 

You could go into "Members" above and send him a Private message it is Paul Whitmarsh. 

Carole