• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Ruth, Aug 04, 2011, 22:29:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruth

Hi everyone

Just a quick note to say hello, as I'm new to the forum.
I'm also new to astronomy - I'm studying Physics and with the Open University and will be taking some astronomy courses as part of my degree.
Very glad to have found a Society so close to home, and I hope I'll be able to come along to a meeting and join up later in the year. I particularly enjoyed the images on the website - I would be very interested in learning to take them myself at some point.

Ruth

Mike

Hi Ruth,

Welcome to the forum and hope to meet you at a meeting in the not too distant future.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Hi Ruth and welcome to the forum.
I'd like to say that our observing sessions or Deep Sky Camps would give you some practical knowledge for for course, but the weather frequently lets us down and we are relegated to the pub where we moan about the clouds/rain - so not a total loss  ;)
Hope you get a chance to come to our meetings and are interested enough to join us.

Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Welcome Ruth, always nice to have another lady Astronomer on board.  Hope to see you soon.

Carole

Tony G

Welcome Ruth,

As you will learn in time, and from past threads, we are a friendly bunch.
Hope to make your acquaintance soon.  :)

Tony G

PS.....................Rick, you will need to change the Male to Female ratio in the Stat section soon, if this trend keeps up.  ;)
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

doug

Hi Ruth.  A big welcome to you from Rose and Doug.  Hope to meet you at a meeting very soon or in the Change of Horses at an Observing evening, or, as Mick has said, to have a drink and moan about the clouds.....  :beer:

Come and join us, come and join us .......

Doug and Rose.   :)
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mac

Hi Ruth

greetings and a warm welcome,
as others have said before we are a friendly bunch, mainly because we are mostly mad,
who would do astronomy in a cloudy country  ;)

that aside, i think you will enjoy your time here, especially if you do manage to get along to the observing evenings and the DSC as well.
there is a huge amount of knowledge on tap to help you get along.

Mac.

Rick

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for introducing yourself. Good luck with the OU course, and welcome to the OAS forum.

Rick.

Delphine

Hi Ruth

Welcome to the forum.  I have also done the OU astronomy courses which I really enjoyed.  Hope to meet you soon.

Cheers
Delphine