• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

It's not going to be sunny for a while!

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jun 14, 2011, 08:37:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Working on the basis that when someone gets a new telescope its not clear at night, I just had 1st light with my Baader Solar Wedge and a 120mm F8 Skywatcher scope I picked up for £110 (its in perfect nick, the wedge costs 5x the scope?).

If you have never looked through a white light wedge with a solar continum filter you don't know what your missing, it really is fantastic, with a 20mm eyepiece I get the full sun and a little space around it :-)  You see all the surface detail, sun spots and also the cracks and movement in the surface, no prominances this is the domain of a Ha or K filter, although I can't see anything with a K I've tried.

Here's an image of the little baby, I need to adjust the focuser so its smoooth, but it all works and has enough back focus for the DSLR, ED series do not!  It's a bit misty this morning but I have pushed the scope upto approx 120x with no issues.

IMG_1882 by chrissuddell, on Flickr

The Solar continuum filter narrows the bandwith sililar to an Ha filter for nightime this give a assive increase in contrast.  Technical details in this page, http://www.telescope-service.com/baader/solar/solar.html

Now where is my web cam?

Chris

JohnP

MarkS

I knew there had to be a reason for the sudden downpours of rain and the weather forecasters warning us to put the BBQ back into long-term storage.

Sounds really good though!  How long have you had the wedge?  I'm looking forward to some images.  That scope sounds like a bargain.

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mark,

I have had the wedge since the end of the last solar cycle, typical eh!  But its all good now even today there was a nice little set of spots to look at, and to be honest I can't pull the late nights everyone else is :-)

Chris

MarkS

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
... to be honest I can't pull the late nights everyone else is

I know what you mean.  At this time of year it means imaging from midnight until 2am.  It's a bit of a killer when you have to get up for work the following day.  At least I can sleep on the train - it used to be impossible to sleep on the bike!

Mark

Carole

Quoteit used to be impossible to sleep on the bike!
:lol:

Fay

Chris your lawn looks like Hampton Court!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Fay,

It's actually in need of a cut at the moment, but the veg are doing ok :-)

Chris

MarkS

It's the hedges that look like Hampton Court!

Where's the maze entrance?

Mac

QuoteChris your lawn looks like Hampton Court!!!!!

It is Hampton Court. :cheesy: