• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC 6559

Started by MarkS, Jun 09, 2011, 21:59:45

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

A challenging target this -taken on Wednesday night 8 June - it reached only 15 degrees above the southerly horizon.  I also forgot to remove the CLS filter I had used the previous evening so I have lost a lot of that lovely blue nebulosity (do a Google image search to find some decent images and realise what I mean).  And it's not framed very well - mainly because the nebulosity was so faint I couldn't see it in a single sub whilst framing!

Only 18 frames were usable - the rest had too much background light.  
So this is 18 x 5min at ISO 800 with the modified Canon 350D on the Tak Epsilon 180ED.

Uncropped version is here:  http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2011/ngc6559_08062011.jpg

This object is right next to the Lagoon Nebula (M8) part of which is visible at the top of the uncropped image.

Mark

JohnP

You did well to get that even lower than Carole's m20 from BlackLands... Looks very promising - are you going to add to it - like you say loads of lovely blue stuff & something that is not imaged often.

Nice one - John

MarkS

Yes I definitely think it's worthwhile trying again - next time without the CLS filter!  But it'll need some clear nights in the last week of June because there's too much moon now.

In my opinion, those areas of sky with a mixture of red H-alpha nebulosity and blue reflection nebulae are ideally suited to the Canon/Bananascope combo.

Mark

Carole

Cor.......what a field of view.
Stunning image. 

Carole

MarkS

A very interesting comparison is the image I took from Beachy Head this time last year:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2010/trifid12062010.jpg
This was 12x5min with the same setup and the same CLS filter [Edit - I've just realised I didn't use the CLS filter for that image].  The bottom part of that image overlaps the top part of last night's one.

NGC6559 has a lot more contrast - mainly because the background brightness of the Beachy Head image was 4x greater! [Edit - mainly because I didn't use a CLS filter]

So it shows is probably a good idea to use the CLS filter on such horizon-hugging targets.

Mark

Carole

Did you have to take any shorter subs for the core of M8, it looks quite bright?

Carole

MarkS

No, back at the time, I didn't realise I'd burnt out the core of M8 until I got back home.

RobertM

That's a great result for such a tricky target and virtually no noise (amazing).  I certainly agree with you about those regions of sky more suited to your combo.

Keep em coming !

mickw

Very nice, loads of detail Mark, but I personally  prefer the uncropped version, sort puts it all into context.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

yes uncropped version I like better
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

The cropped version was just a taster to entice you to look at the full one!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional