• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NEQ6 v CG5 GT

Started by Carole, May 23, 2011, 09:24:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

It has made an enormous difference changing to an NEQ6 from the CG5 GT.  You cannot imagine what I have been struggling with for the past couple of years.

Polar alignment is now a piece of cake. It was always difficult with the CG5 GT because the polarscope was unlit and the Latitude and altitude screws were so stiff and difficult to move on the CG5.  Struggling to hold a torch up to the top of the polar scope and at the same time trying to turn screws that would not turn easily.  

I can now see through the polarscope on the pier , something I could not do without performing contortions with the CG5 GT (as explained in a previous thread because the pier plate was right where my chin needed to go), and in those awkward positions there was no hope of reaching the Alt/Lat screws even if they would turn.
So now am quite happy to take the Mount off the pier each time I go to DSC.

With the CG5 GT, there were many times when the GOTO failed to hit the target and I'd spend many evenings having to "search" for my target, and on one or two evenings failed and had to give up.  With the NEQ6 the target has been bang in the middle of the FOV every time (or very close to bang in the middle).

Guiding:  Well as you know I have had months of problems with guiding.  Again , now - piece of cake.

So all in all, I am really pleased with my new purchase - should have done it ages ago and saved myself all that stress and frustration.

Carole

JohnP

QuoteGuiding:  Well as you know I have had months of problems with guiding.  Again , now - piece of cake.

Blimey Carole - careful what you say else the Astro imaging Gods will curse you with some other problem...!!!!!

Glad you have everything sorted & can start enjoying your dome.

Carole

QuoteBlimey Carole - careful what you say else the Astro imaging Gods will curse you with some other problem...!!!!!
Yes, tempting fate maybe?

Carole

Mac

why dont you use a computer to polar align,

have a look at pol align max, very simple to use.

http://users.bsdwebsolutions.com/~larryweber/

very very accurate results.

Mac.

Carole

a) Don't know how.
b) Manually now works fine, probably could have done with it though when I had the CG5 GT.

Carole