• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Video Crisis

Started by mickw, May 23, 2011, 08:55:12

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Recently I installed a new LCD and wireless card in the Acer laptop and as I mentioned before it has been running quite hot and probably in need of a strip down and new cooling fan.
Over the weekend, the images on the screen started getting fragmented followed by vertical lines then the laptop shut down.
I now get no display, even of the bios stuff.
I believe it's the graphics card that has melted but will try putting the old LCD back in.
I can run a dual monitor on the acer which is switched by hotkey but I can't tell when to start clicking - doesn't seem to work though.

Has anybody used a laptop repair service that is not a rip off ?

Having just spent over £100 on it, I don't want to replace more bits and not cure it. 

I've spent a good part of the weekend transferring the data to my other laptop and installing all the astro programs (all still to be tested), so I should at least be back in business.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ian

Have you tried powering it up with the external screen connected? All laptops I've had auto switch to external, particularly if you close the lid straight away.