• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Amazing M57 image

Started by Carole, May 18, 2011, 23:51:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Not sure if any-one looks at SGL, but I just had to point out this amazing image of M57.  She says she took it by accident as she was just experimenting.  

Any-one else seen M57 look like this in an image before?

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/141926-m57-accidental-image.html

Mac

are you sure she has not done a fay special and uploaded a hubble image,

now that would be embarrassing.  :oops:

Mac

Rocket Pooch

Carole,

M57 does have a faint outer halo which appears in Ha, that what she has done here, its a HaGB Image, must admit reading the image it does seems quite an explination :-) 30 minute subs for Ha thats really long and the results are fantastic.  314L rule I guess :-)

Chris

MarkS

It's just a question of collecting photons.  To get a good quality image of any deep-sky object, the key is to shoot many hours of data from a dark place.

I'm planning to take at least 8 hours of data for each image I do this year.  Trouble is, the weather might have different plans!

By the way - there's only one reason why you should do very long exposures - so that the noise from the sky background flux plus the thermal signal (if any) swamps out the read noise of the CCD.  Once you have reached this point then take more subs rather than increase the exposure time further.

Mark

JohnP

Well in that image she has captured both halo's... dont often see that so I reckon her skies must be well dark. I shot a 20min test sub of this the other day from Bromley with my 7nm baader Ha in place & even if I really push the sub  I have barely captured the inner of the two halo's.. it was crap seeing & 1/2 moon was around though....

John

Fay

Anni is a superb imager, a lot better than the top men that have become familiar to us via the forums.

I think she is a professional & her american boyfriend is a photographer. She pushes the boundaries. I think she lives in Cambridge.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

QuoteI think she lives in Cambridge.
It says Suffolk on SGL, so as you say probably very dark skies. 

Is there a sticky for envy? 

Carole

Fay

Oh probably read Cambridge somewhere else in one of her threads

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: MarkS on May 19, 2011, 07:50:54
By the way - there's only one reason why you should do very long exposures - so that the noise from the sky background flux plus the thermal signal (if any) swamps out the read noise of the CCD.  Once you have reached this point then take more subs rather than increase the exposure time further.

You missed a bit, pop quizz.

Carole

QuoteI think she is a professional
Professional photographer or Astronomer Fay?

Carole

Fay

well she is a pro photographer, so is up with processing etc, having lots of work published. Then went on to astro, & is very knowledgeable at that as well.

I think she has had images on APOD.

http://morrisastronomy.blogspot.com/

Carole

Oh yes, I remember that stunning veil image.