• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC - June 3rd to 6th - Blacklands

Started by mickw, May 08, 2011, 17:29:47

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Rother Valley have reserved 2 spaces for us in June, they had already taken other bookings as it is following the bank holiday and it's half term.

They have no problems with us spreading out but It sounds like there will be quite a few people there and as the weather should be warm and dry  :lol: we would still be doing stuff until about 3am which may not go down too well with the neighbours.

Moving the dates to the following week would mean First Quarter moon (similar to next August)

I think we should also consider going to Blacklands.

So decisions/suggestions please.

Whatever the choice it needs to be soon because whatever the preference I don't know the availability of pitches at either place or dates

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Cant make the week after so i'd rather go to Blacklands.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Can't go anyway, unfortunately I'm holidaying in France on the motorbike....

mickw

I have mentioned to Rother that we may may not go on the original date.

I'll wait until tomorrow before trying to arrange alternatives.

Don't forget to vote.

In the event of a tie, I will make the wrong choice without any help  ;)

MarkS

I can't see where to place my vote for Tuesnoad !?  :!

mickw

The Thing

What about a vote for Marks back garden! ;)

mickw

No, we went there last weekend when he was in France  :twisted:

mickw

Blacklands website is down at the moment.

I'll ring later and ask availability of 4 adjacent pitches with hook up, that should give us a start and room to spread out

RobertM

Quote from: MarkS on May 10, 2011, 21:27:21

I can't see where to place my vote for Tuesnoad

There's no High Halden option either  :roll:

mickw

mickw

We go to BLACKLANDS

I've initially booked 4 pitches with hookups
When you book (and I suggest you do)  make sure you mention the astronomy group
Map and prices here:

http://www.blacklandsfarm.co.uk/

Rick

Thread subject and main website adjusted accordingly... I think...

Carole

QuoteWe go to BLACKLANDS
I've initially booked 4 pitches with hookups

I assume there are more than 4 pitches available Mick.  I assume you've grabbed 4 just to establish our area and hook up, or does this mean we all have to squeeze into this space?

Also do they have Hook up splitters should we need them?

Carole

mickw

Thanks Rick

QuoteAlso do they have Hook up splitters should we need them?

I don't know, but if you book a pitch with a hook up you won't need one.

I have booked 4 so that we have an established area, you should book yourselves anyway mentioning the astronomy group

Carole

I've booked but just got a Reply as follows:
QuoteWe have availability for those dates; I have reserved space for your party and really look forward to having you camp with us...............

Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

So who's going?  I hope to get there but may not be able to come down until Saturday lunchtime.

Mark

Carole

As we have to pay at the gate (I think there is an honesty box or something - not been here before), what is the cost per night with Hook up i.e. is this classed as peak season or not?

Carole

mickw

Peak season is bank holiday weekends only so this will be low season.

The honesty box is the letterbox in the office/hut in the entrance to the field if nobody is there.

mickw

So it looks like Me, Mike , Carole, Fay, Dougnrose, Mark and Alan(?)

I think the event tent might be a bit of a liability here - nowhere to tuck it in

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
I think the event tent might be a bit of a liability here - nowhere to tuck it in

Given the nice warm weather forecast, I suspect Blacklands will be busy.  But Mick's awning might provide shade  8)

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Quote from: mickw on Jun 02, 2011, 00:45:34
So it looks like Me, Mike , Carole, Fay, Dougnrose, Mark and Alan(?)

Et moi aussi !!!

mickw

Duncans chickening out and going to France  :roll:

Possible crisis -
They have refurbished the toilet blocks at blacklands and the new photos show a nice new light fitted to the end of each block.
Whoever gets there first - use your best judgement - probably Fay

mickw

A better location would probably be on the corner near the broken tractor and the other field then work our way back towards the bog block - assuming we will have a choice

The Thing

Mick, Fay, Mike (Cris?), dougnrose, Robert, Carole, Mark, «Duncan» and Alan (?).

Nice crowd, just missing Tony and Chris. And Paul, John, Julian. Lightweights!

I should be there around 1:00. I am in France for the end of July Mick.

Carole

Quoteon the corner near the broken tractor and the other field
Is there hook up here?
Like Fay I'm only set up for Hook up these days.  Leisure battery had died. 

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: The Thing on Jun 02, 2011, 08:08:54
Mick, Fay, Mike (Cris?), dougnrose, Robert, Carole, Mark, «Duncan» and Alan (?)

Nice crowd, just missing Tony and Chris. And Paul, John, Julian. Lightweights!

Thanks Dunc,

No one has said such a nice thing to me in a long time.  :lol:

House hunting at present and weekends are really the only time to view, as by the time I get home after sitting on the M25 for hours most people are asleep and tucked up in bed (Apart from astronomers) ;)

Have a good weekend, as the weather is looking good.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Sorry Dunc, I had you down as a lightweight for June - I'll amend records to July/August  ;)

Carole yes, unless they've also changed the layout

mickw

Previously, we also discussed setting up between the toilet block and the entrance.

Carole

Hi Mick, not having stayed there before a bit unsure of the spots you are referring to, any chance of posting up a diagram?

Or are you or Fay planning to get there first?

Carole

mickw

Keep an eye on the weather, it's looking a bit breezy, with some wet on sunday  :(

The Thing

What website are you looking on? Don't trust the BBC, they will say it's going to be bad just so no one complains when they get it wrong. Meteoblue and 7timer! show the weather in Henfield is going to be lovely, except in the corner of the field where Micks van is going to pitch up where it will be very gusty with the occasional shower ;).

JohnP

Blimey you on form 2night Dunc .... :lol:..

mickw

Tra la la

I am on a flatish bit of ground in the corner before  the shower block where there used to be a shed with a light on it.  There are a couple of shallow dips that I have been trying to fill with water - Just to try and soften it up for me mate Duncan  ;)

It has been pretty windy but seems to have settled at the moment.
Met office threaten high winds, other sites mention wind but not the high gusts, can't get into meteoblue but SAT24 seems to be showing high level cloud.

It is crowded but there is enough room for our lot.
The children are little darlings with their joyous laughing and screaming............................
The Bogeyman WILL get them tonight  :twisted:

All kit set up and drinking has commenced, I don't think I've missed anything  :lol:

MarkS

I was hoping to come down for Saturday night but this is looking very unlikely now ...

Have a good time!

Mark

The Thing

What a great weekend! Got down to Blacklands midday Friday and set up camp near Fay and Mick. The place was quite busy with many families and running children. It was also very breezy with nasty gusts every so often. Alan arrived with his Meade coffee grinder and Mike and Cris set up last - until Robert arrived when he became last. Carole, Doug and ROse were down at the other corner of the top of the field. It was very windy but at sunset the wind died and the skies were clear. There was a sense of anticipation.

Got the recently acquired HEQ5 set up and everything connected up and indulged in usual DSC pastimes i.e. drink whilst waiting for darkness to descend. There were 4 HEQ5s and an NEQ6 set up in a 30ft radius, looked like an inferrometry array or somesuch.

Once we got aligned and imaging Fay thought she had a problem with misshappen stars and gave up, Mick and I were getting some great subs and Mike forgot to connect his EQDIR gadget and thought he had a duff cable. Robert was meanwhile doing hundreds of 30s subs  with his C11 and Hyperstar. We all had fun.

I left my scope taking darks at 3:00am and went to bed. I was woken up a 6:00am by a truck pumping out the drains and then a large dustcart emptying the bins. Not good when you need a lie in (note for next time?).

Saturday Mick and I processed our images and my effort is in a seperate post. It was a lovely day but by tea time it was blowy and cloudy but we were hopefull up until 11:00 when a huge thunderstorm to the south put on a fantastic display for us - and caused us to hurredly pack up our scopes just in case it came our way! A couipe more beers acompanied the lightshow which didn't come anywhere near us afterall.

Packed up Sunday morning expecting it to rain but there was only a couple of spits in the air. A great weekend.

Sunday